When water comes out from the tap, there’s a chance it comes with lead, and a lot of other contaminants that can cause health problems. The good news is, a filtration technology has been developed to allow you to take control and reduce, if not completely get rid of the risks.
There are a number of filter options available such as under sink filters, faucet attachments, whole-house filtration systems, pitcher filters, etc. The under sink water filters are the most popular choices for improving water quality because of their affordability, easy installation and they also require very little maintenance.
What is an under sink water filter? An under sink water filter is a device that receives water from the under-sink water pipe to purify it then uses its faucet to deliver the water to the user. It is common for a lot of people to experience confusion when looking to buy an under sink water filter. So, we’re going to ease the confusion for you.
In this article, we have a review of the best under sink water filters in the market today as well as a comprehensive buying guide, to help find the best water filter to suit your needs.
5 best under sink water filters
1. iSpring RCC7AK, 6-Stage Under Sink Reverse Osmosis Water Filter
- Certified to NSF/ANSI 58, 6-Stage Alkaline Remineralization Layered Filtration: Exclusively designed...
- BENEFITS: The iSpring RCC7AK water softener includes an additional sixth stage - an Alkaline...
- FEATURES: Beautiful European-Style kitchen faucet. Transparent 1st stage housing for easy visual...
- EASY DO IT YOURSELF INSTALLATION: The water purifier is designed for do-it-yourself installation and...
- 100% SATISFIED CUSTOMERS: RCC7AK from America’s favorite brand of under sink water filter is the...
The iSpring RCC7AK, 6- stage reverse osmosis filter is our top pick as the best under sink water filter. With it comes a reputable multiple stage filtration system that has been approved by WQA.
The pureness of your drinking water is guaranteed with this iSpring system, thanks to its 6 stages of water purification. It also has 3 pre-filters that include a fine sediment mesh, a granular activated carbon core, and a carbon block, that ensures that the water is clean before it gets to the reverse osmosis membrane.
The membrane can last up to 3 years. However, other parts of this filtration system can last up to one year, as most RO systems do. It is known to remove up to 98% of lead and 99% of a thousand other contaminants, including chlorine, fluoride, hormones, asbestos, bacteria, viruses, etc. It also alkalizes the water and brings a more natural taste to it.
- Compact design
- Removes 98% of contaminants
- High water pressure
- Water Quality Association(WQA) certified
- Easy to install
- Lead-free brass faucet included
- Good customer service
- High wastewater
2. APEC WFS-1000 3 Stage Under-Sink System
- High quality, designed, engineered and assembled in the USA; System built with US MADE super...
- Guaranteed to remove chemicals (i.e. chlorine), taste and odors. NOT designed for TDS removal
- Premium long-lasting filters used to treat tap water, well water. Provide unlimited refreshing water
- 1 year satisfaction guarantee, with lifetime support by certified WQA water specialist based in CA
- System comes with 100% Lead-Free chrome faucet, odorless, chlorine-free clean water
The APEC WFS-1000 is a water filtration system that uses a 3-stage filtration process to remove the contaminants in the water. You can be rest assured that your drinking water is well purified. Unlike other water filters, this one is easy to install and does not need additional parts, it comes with all the equipment you need for installation, including the pre-drilled holes used to mount it on the wall.
The water coming out of the faucet has good pressure despite it passing through 3 separate water filters. Water filters are great for purifying the water, but they don’t give a high water pressure. Well, this is not the case for this filter. It also has cartridges that last more than a year, reducing maintenance costs.
- A high-quality stainless steel faucet included
- Improves taste and odor significantly
- Easy to install
- Doesn’t remove healthy minerals
- Certified by the Water Quality Association
- Reduced maintenance costs
- High water pressure
- Unable to remove the heavy metals.
3. Home Master TMAFC-ERP Artesian Filter System
- A better RO system | Home Master Artesian Full Contact’s innovative design solves most common...
- Mineral Water on Tap | Patented remineralization system adds calcium and magnesium twice during the...
- Highly pure water | 7-stages of filtration, purification and enhancement remove up to 99% of...
- NSF Certified Components | meets or exceeds NSF standards for material safety and performance. NSF...
- Reduced Water Waste & TDS Creep | Built in non-electric permeate pump reduces TDS creep and water...
The Home Master TMAFC-ERP is a simple under sink water filtration system that uses a reverse osmosis system that has a 7 stage filter to purify your drinking and make it clean. With a dedicated water faucet, it is considered as one of the best under sink filter to remove lead particles, among other many contaminants.
It boasts of an easy installation and a long-lasting filter, which means that the maintenance required is very little. The filter lasts for up to 2000 gallons of water, which is around 1-year of normal water usage.
- Easy installation.
- High water pressure
- 5-year warranty from the manufacturer.
- Removes a high number of contaminants.
- Adds minerals to your water, making it healthier and more refreshing.
- All the parts needed to install are included
- Durable filter
- More expensive compared to other filters.
4. CuZn UC-200 Under Counter Water Filter
- Incredible Capacity and Lifespan, Up to 5 Years per Filter; CuZn Backs the UC-200’s Long Lasting...
- Simple to Install; The UC-200 is Designed for Direct Connect to the main Kitchen Sink Cold Water...
- 3 Stage Filtration Process Utilizing Micro Sediment Membranes, KDF-55 and Coconut Shell Carbon; the...
- Bacteriostatic; Unlike Carbon Only Filters, the UC-200 Is Bacteriostatic and Not Susceptible to Mold...
- CuZn’s Comprehensive Install Insurance Policy Is Included With Purchase of the UC-200 on Amazon;...
CuZn UC-200 is one of the most affordable water filter systems in the market today. Despite the low its low costs, its effectiveness is not compromised. It is easy to install because of its minimalist design, where you set it up under the sink in a few minutes and enjoy up to 50,000 gallons of water. The CuZn UC 200 can go up to 5 years, with no cartridges to replace, reducing the maintenance costs.
It has an activated carbon block filters that aids in the removal of contaminants such as sediments, chlorine, pesticides, herbicides, etc. It also features a unique bacteriostatic layer that reduces heavy metals and prevents the growth of bacteria in the filter. All these functions happen without a significant drop in water pressure.
- High capacity and longevity
- Easy to install
- Works with any kitchen faucet
- Comes with a 90-day satisfaction guarantee and a 5-year warranty
- A great customer service
- Prevents the growth of bacteria and mold
- Not great with well water
5. Frizzlife Under Sink Water Filter System
- [Two-stage Advanced Water Purifier With 0.5 Micron]: The Frizzlife MK99 Water Filtration System...
- [Fits both 1/2" and 3/8" cold water line]: Super Easy Installation. Come with 3/8" Directly Connect...
- [Best Auto Shut Off Design]: Utilizing quick change twist-in installation design makes it take less...
- [High Flow Rate & Multi-Usage]: Enjoy tap water as pure and healthy as spring fresh water. Tested...
- [Money Saving & Satisfaction]: The under counter water filter system contains a core filter...
If you are looking to remove 99, 99% of water contaminants such as Lead, Fluoride, Copper, etc., then you may consider getting the Frizzle under sink water filter system. It has a filtration system that is so precise that it can remove very small particles- as small as 0.5 microns.
The installation is also very easy and you won't have to find a plumber to do it because you can do it yourself. You only need to attach it directly to the filtration system under your sink. This water filter system does not only filter the water but also ensures that healthy minerals remain.
Unlike other water filters in the market, this one doesn't reduce the water flow rate. When replacement of the filter is needed, there won't be any need to shut off the water supply.
- Reasonably priced
- Environment friendly
- Installation is easy
- Compatible with both ½ inch and 3/8 inch water valves.
- Removes up to 99% of contaminants
- A great and compact design
- May experience clogging issues
Buying Guide for under sink water filters
When you're planning to buy the best under sink water filtration system, you'll probably see many models and types, which might be confusing. This is why to get you started we have a list of a number of things you should consider before buying the best under sink water filter.
1. Water Filtration speed
If you have a large household, it is best to install a larger filter. This is because the larger the size of the filter installed, the quicker it is, therefore allowing you to get large water quantities, over a short period of time.
The flow rate of your filter ought to be very impressive and should match the flow rate received through the faucet. If you proceed to purchase a smaller under sink filter, the flow rate is slightly reduced but they are still very efficient.
The filter capacity is mostly listed in terms of months and years. The RO system filters are meant to last 2 years or more but most carbon filters last between 6-12 months. Some filters are listed in terms of gallons.
However, it may difficult to track the number of gallons you're using in a day, making it difficult to determine when the filter should be replaced. Ensure you know the number of months or years or gallons of usage that are recommended by the manufacturer.
3. Water pressure
If you are buying a water filtration system, you shouldn't expect that they will all have the same water pressure. There are filters with slower thin tubes that significantly reduce water flow, thus slow pressure. This is a non-issue especially if you are using it to only treat drinking water because it doesn't take long to fill a glass even when the pressure is low.
However, it is important to get one with higher pressure when using the water for other things such as washing dishes, without compromising the performance. These are the filters that have wider tubes and use special filter designs to increase water pressure. Carbon filters tend to have higher flow rates.
4. Number of filter stages
A good quality under sink water filter should have at least 2 stages. The more stages the water filter has, the purer the water becomes. There are filters with as many as 9 stages although they are very costly.
5. Your needs
Depending on the contaminants you are trying to remove, choose a type of under-sink filter that suits your home. If you're looking to remove dissolved particles like sodium, then you may require a stronger and more complex filtration system for example the Reverse Osmosis(RO) system.
If you don't like the chlorine taste of water, then a simple carbon filter would be the best option for you. It is important to conduct a water test or request a report from your city council, especially if you're unsure about the quality of the water.
6. Maintenance required/Filter replacements
How long will the filters or the filters' membranes last? Most water filters will require a replacement once a year, and membranes last two to three years. The lifespan could be influenced by the quality of your water.
If the water has large amounts of contaminants, it may need to be replaced sooner than water that has fewer contaminants. Ensure you replace the filter if it clogs, no matter for how long it's been installed.
A common question that pops up when looking to buy an under sink water filter is "how long do under-sink water filter systems last?" Most manufacturers recommend that the filter's body should be replaced after 10 years to avoid cracking. However, with proper maintenance, the water filter system should last for 15- 20 years.
Installation is easy and straightforward for most under sink water filters. It only requires you to connect the water filter to the incoming cold water supply for your sink. In the installation process, there are two types of water filter systems; simple and conventional.
The simple water filtration system uses an existing faucet that is present within your sink unit. A convention water filtration system requires its own faucet that is usually supplied within the system. A good water filtration system should be easy to install.
Frequently asked questions(FAQs) on under sink water filters
1. Which under sink water filter is best?
The type of under-sink filter best suited for your household depends on what contaminants in the water and also your budget. When you’re shopping for the best under the sink water filter, you’ll probably find many models that feature a 3 or even 7 stage filtration process and manufacturers will tell you to buy. Some also claim they have the top-selling reverse osmosis water filtration system.
However, it is important to note that the more filtration stages a system offer, the higher the price tag. Also, the more stages the water has to pass through, the cleaner it will be. There are several under sink filtration systems in the market that are good. Our recommendation would be iSpring RCC7AK, 6-Stage Under Sink Reverse Osmosis System Water Filter, especially looking for high performance and clean water.
2. How often should you change under the sink water filter?
How often you change an under sink filtration system is dependent on the quality of your water and also your usage. If your water is highly contaminated, then the filter will absorb more and may need replacement every 6 to 12 months. If your usage is also high, you may need replacements more frequently.
3. How do I purify water from my sink?
There are a number of ways you can use to purify water from your bathroom or kitchen sink. First, you can use chemicals either chlorine or iodine. Another way is simply just to boil the water. You can lastly use a filtration system. All of these methods are effective when they are done correctly. However, for effective and natural tasting water we would recommend using a filtration system.
4. What happens if a water filter is not changed?
Failing to change your kitchen sink filters or any other filters can cause scaling and deposit buildup. This can seriously damage your kitchen sink. This buildup will also slow down the undersink filtration system, causing a reduced flow rate, and also affecting the taste of your water. Moist environments also cause bacteria multiplication and can be harmful to your health because it adds bacteria.