Are you looking for a healthy alternative to your current aluminum baking sheets? If so, the stainless steel cookie sheets are less toxic, more durable, and versatile and can be a great addition to your kitchen's bakeware. Thanks to the high-temperature resistance, stainless steel baking pans enable you to cook different food types for your family and loved ones. In addition, these stainless steel sheets feature different qualities such as a lightweight design, dishwasher-safe, rust and warp-resistant construction, compact, non-toxic material and a deep edge.
Nevertheless, finding the best stainless steel baking sheets on the market will probably take you too long. That is why we are bringing you this article on the various options you have and the factors that should guide your decision. Enjoy!
What are the Different Types of Baking Sheets?
The different types of baking sheets depend on the size, and they include:
a). Full Sheet
This type of baking sheet measures 26 x 18 inches and is used mainly in commercial kitchens to bake large quantities. However, it is usually too large to fit in most home ovens.
b). Half Sheet
A half sheet pan measures 18 x 13 inches, and it is the most used size in most standard home ovens and is exactly half the size of a full sheet pan, hence its name. A half sheet pan is big enough to bake a dozen cookies or roast chicken or vegetables for a delicious sheet pan dinner.
c). Quarter Sheet
A quarter-size sheet pan measures 13 x 9 inches, and it's half the size of a half sheet. Quarter baking sheets are ideal for oven cooking, refrigerating ingredients, freezing already shaped cooking dough and baking for one or two people. A quarter sheet pan can also be used side by side in a conventional oven to roast two different items simultaneously.
d). Jelly Roll Pan
Like the name, jelly roll pans are meant to bake a thin cake layer, making them suitable for desserts like a Swiss Roll. They measure 10.5 x 15.5 inches, and their size is between a half sheet and a quarter sheet, which gives a baker more room to work with. In addition, a jelly roll pan has a continuous lip around all sides.
e). Eighth Sheet
These are mini baking sheet pans, measuring 9 x 6.5 inches, which is a perfect size for reheating pizza or flatbreads, roasting nuts or baking several cookies at a go.
Best Stainless Steel Baking Sheets for Baking Cookies
1. Fox Run Stainless Steel Cookie Sheet Baking Pan
- CONSTRUCTED OF 18/0 STAINLESS STEEL: Lightweight and sturdy, food grade stainless steel baking pan...
- EVEN HEAT DISTRIBUTION: This premium stainless steel baking pan promotes even heat distribution for...
- ALL PURPOSE BAKEWARE Perfect for daily use for baking Cookies, French Fries, Flatbread/Thin Crust...
- SAFE AND RELIABLE: 3 rimmed sides for easy gripping, 1 flat edge for baked goods to easily slide...
- CARE & MEASUREMENTS: Hand wash in warm, soapy water and towel dry; Overall dimensions: 14.25 x 16.75...
The Fox Run Stainless Steel sheet pan is a lightweight yet sturdy all-purpose cookie sheet that you can use when baking cookies, flatbread, vegetables, biscuits, french fries, and much more. It features a food-grade stainless steel build and doesn't have a non-stick coating. It's undoubtedly among the best baking sheets you can buy today.
The design of this stainless steel baking pan guarantees even heat distribution which ensures that you can consistently deliver well-browned cookies. So, if you want a steel baking sheet that can provide the same results over and over, the Fox Run Baking Pan is the choice for you.
Three of the four sides of this baking sheet are rimmed so that you can easily grip them to remove your baked goods out of the oven without much difficulty. This helps prevent accidental drops, which could ruin your cookies or even burn you. The flat edge was purposely designed for sliding off your cookies onto the plate.
The high-quality steel is warp and corrosion-resistant and can withstand temperatures of up to 536 degrees Fahrenheit, making it safe to use in your oven. It's not challenging to maintain this sheet since you can hand wash it in warm water with some soap and dry it with a towel.
2. TeamFar Pure Stainless Steel Baking Pan
- √ HEALTHY MATERIAL - These baking sheets are made of high quality 18/0 magnetic stainless steel...
- √ EXQUISITE CRAFT - TeamFar baking pan is processed with superb mirror finish so its surface can...
- √ EASY CLEAN - Deep full sides all around keep food contained and prevent juice from flowing...
- √ HEAVY DUTY - These trays come with proper weight and feel sturdy when holding in hands, Durable...
- √ MULITI USE - Set of 2, Large size 15.8 x 12 x 0.95 inches, Medium size 12.4 x 9.6 x 0.95 inches,...
Next up is the TeamFar baking pan, which is made from premium, magnetic stainless steel. As such, it is resistant to rust and corrosion and will serve you for years. It is among the most durable options for anyone looking for a high-quality baking sheet.
Since it doesn't have any chemical coatings, this sheet is safe to use for food preparation, and you can use it daily without fear of any toxicity. If you look at the surface of this baking sheet, you'll notice that it's quite shiny. That's because it features a mirror finish that reduces the risk of food sticking onto the pan as you bake.
The edges of this product roll out smoothly to provide a place for you to comfortably hold the sheet as you place food in and out of the oven. It is also easy to clean since it has a deep design that will prevent any juices from flowing into your oven during roasting.
Fortunately, you can enjoy a hands-free cleaning experience with the TeamFar baking pan since it is dishwasher safe. The package comes in two different sizes, a medium, and a large sheet, to ensure you can meet your baking needs appropriately.
3. Wildone Baking Sheet
- 🍎 [MULTI USE] Pack of 3 - Including 3 baking sheet 16 x 12 x 1 inch, 12.25 x 9.65 x 1 inch, and...
- 🍎 [DURABLE] The baking sheet with thick gauge and sturdy construction, which offer long lasting...
- 🍎 [HEALTHY] No more aluminum into your food, great replacement to aluminum pan. The baking sheet...
- 🍎 [CRAFTED] Our stainless steel baking sheet has superior mirror finish to reduce the risk of...
- 🍎 [EASY CLEAN] Deep full sides all around prevent food juice from flowing everywhere to keep your...
If you are looking for a suitable replacement for your aluminum pans that can also fit in your toaster oven, the Wildone Stainless Steel Baking Sheet is the one for you. The package comes with three baking sheets that will satisfy all your daily baking requirements conveniently. Besides baking, you could also use the Wildone baking sheet as a serving tray or cooling rack.
This product is sturdy and built to provide quality service for a long while. The thick gauge and solid build are pure stainless steel, which means that you won't have to worry about rust or corrosion. It also excludes any chemical or nonstick coating to keep this pan safe for food preparation.
The mirror finish in the Wildone sheet pan minimizes the chances of food sticking. So, as much as it doesn't have a nonstick coating, you can rest assured that your cookies won't be sticking onto this baking sheet. This stainless steel product is built deep to prevent juices from staining your oven. Plus, you can easily handwash them or throw them into the dishwasher for maintenance.
4. All-Clad 9003TS 18/10 Stainless Steel Baking Sheet
- Features a large, flat surface area (14"x17") and an angled edge that makes it easy to take in and...
- Made from 3 bonded layers of stainless steel and aluminum for maximum durability and heat...
- Handcrafted in the USA at our Pennsylvania factory where we invented bonded cookware almost 50 years...
- The go-to cookware brand for professional chefs and avid home cooks alike
- Oven-safe up to 600°F
All-Clad 9003TS is the best baking stainless steel sheet with a tri-ply construction, meaning its premium choice, where the tri-ply construction means the baking tray is made of three layers that offer resilience, balance and insulation. In addition, the stainless steel sheet is textured, and this provides an excellent grip to prevent food from falling off or moving around. It also has a lip on one side that makes it easy to remove it from your oven and packs a lifetime warranty that shows how confident the manufacturer is in the stainless steel pans.
All-Clad 9003TS stainless steel sheet is also a nonstick pan, which means it should not deteriorate over time or end up sticking, and it is versatile as it can also be used on cooktops, including induction hobs.
5. HKJ Chef Stainless Steel Cookie Sheet
- 【SO Healthful】 --No more aluminum into your food, Good replacement to aluminum pan,The baking...
- 【SO Safe】--Super mirror finish always stay shining and easy to release food, Smooth edges and...
- 【SO Sturdy】--The stainless steel cookie sheets is sturdy and shiny, Thick gauge 100% 18/0...
- 【EASY Clean】--Full sides all around help this toaster oven tray keep food contained and prevent...
- 【MAKE More Delicious】 --The oven pan great for cinnamon rolls, Sticky buns, Brownies, Corn bread...
Say goodbye to the aluminum pans and other chemical-coated baking ware with the HKJ Chef Cookie Sheet. Made from pure and high-quality stainless steel, this cooking sheet doesn't need a non-stick coating since it has a premium mirror finish that keeps baked goods from sticking on. This also makes it easier for you to release cookies and other edibles onto a tray after cooking.
While most baking sheets are rimmed, this one features a rimless design that prevents the accumulation of dirt and bacteria underneath for a clean sheet. It is also sturdy thanks to the stainless steel, heavy-duty construction. As a result, it minimizes warping and can be cleaned in a dishwasher without repercussions.
You can use this oven pan for cooking awesome brownies, cornbread, sticky buns, and cinnamon rolls. It is a versatile cooking ware that can deliver evenly cooked edibles.
6. Checkered Chef Baking Sheet Set
- Complete Set: The perfect cooking combo is here. Use this half baking pan and wire rack for cooking...
- Quality Baking Rack: This steel sheet rack is designed for every situation - whether you're putting...
- Built to Last: Don't waste your money on cookie sheet sets that scratch and warp with time. This...
- Multi Use: From cookies to chicken wings (and everything in between), you can use our baking tray...
- Dishwasher Safe: Spend more time over the stove and less time over the sink! When you're all done...
Checkered Chef Baking Sheet Set is one of the best baking sheets with a cooling rack that allows an easy grilling of foods and baking cookies or cakes on a flat surface. It features an extra-strong crossbar design that prevents warping and twisting, and thanks to stainless steel construction, you are guaranteed you will be able to place your meat or any other cooking item on a flat surface. The stainless steel cookie sheet also has raised edges that ensure no juices will spill, which helps prevent inconvenient messes on your oven table or countertops.
Checkered Chef Baking Sheet Set can withstand temperatures of up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, allowing you to use it for different foods at the preferred settings. In addition, the stainless steel material is toxic-free, meaning you won't have to worry bout your or your family's safety.
7. Umite Chef Stainless Steel Baking Pans
- 🎁HEALTHY MATERAL: These baking sheets are made of premium pure stainless steel without chemical...
- 🎁CRAFTED: Each baking pan with superior smooth mirror finish to reduce the risk of food sticking,...
- 🎁HEAVY DUTY: Umite Chef baking tray is solid constructed with proper weight, Rust resistant, Feel...
- 🎁 EASY CLEAN: Smooth mirror finish make it easy to release the food, Offers effortless clean-up....
- 🎁[MULTI - USAGE]: 16 x 12 x 1 inch cookie sheet meet most of daily baking or roasting needs, 2...
Anyone looking for a pan free from chemical coating or other toxic materials should consider the Umite Chef Baking Pans, which are made from pure stainless steel that is safe for cooking various foods. The two baking pans you'll get will suffice even if you want to prepare large amounts of baked cookies or dessert.
You can use these Umite Chef products as baking pans as well as serving trays. Each pan features a smooth mirror finish that reduces the chances of your cookies sticking, the surface denting, or rusting. The sides are quite deep to ensure they can handle a larger food capacity while preventing any juices from dripping onto the oven.
There aren't any sharp angles on the edges since they are smoothly rolled to let you hold them comfortably without the risk of accidental slips. The Umite Chef baking pans are also well-weighted to provide a sturdy feel and resist warping even when the metal is exposed to high oven temperatures.
Why should you choose Stainless Steel Baking Sheets?
Like everything, a stainless steel baking sheet has both advantages and disadvantages, and we have listed them below:
Pros of a Stainless Steel Baking Sheet
- Stainless steel baking sheets are more durable
- Healthier and non-toxic than other metals
- Non-reactive unlike aluminum pans and therefore can be used to cook acidic foods
- Easy to clean as they are dishwasher-safe than other materials such as aluminum that are not dishwasher-safe
- They cook food evenly
Cons of a Stainless Steel Baking Sheet
- A stainless steel baking sheet will cook the food evenly but not as even as aluminum baking sheets would
- It is recommended to use a nonstick spray, parchment paper or oil with the stainless steel baking sheet as food may stick slightly.
- Stainless steel material doesn't conduct heat and other metals like aluminum.
What are the Other Types of Baking Pan Materials?
Baking is an art and a science, and just like ingredients used will determine the outcome, so will the type of baking pan you use. Apart from stainless steel sheet pans which we have discussed in depth in this article, other materials are used to make baking pans. All the different types of baking sheets react differently with heat and food, and this gives all the types a place in the kitchen to enjoy your baked goods. They include:
a). Silicone Baking Pans
Silicone baking sheets are flexible and naturally nonstick, making them suitable for dishes that don't quickly release, such as bread, cakes and muffins or roasting. The silicone material is high quality and doesn't need oil, parchment paper or nonstick sprays. It is dishwasher safe for an easy clean, can handle extreme temperatures and resists stains and odors, giving a user service. However, it is a poor conductor of heat.
b). Aluminum Baking Pans
Aluminum baking sheets are ideal for use with food cooked at high heat for a short time, such as muffins, biscuits and cookies. These cookie sheets are better than a stainless steel cookie sheet for baking such food because they quickly get up and promote even growing. In addition, aluminum baking sheets are rust and corrosion-resistant yet affordable and lightweight. However, they can react with acidic foods, and they are better cleaned with a hand wash.
c). Glass Baking Dishes
Glass sheet pans are suitable for braised dishes, casseroles and any food that needs a consistent and constant temperature. These pans as well are non-reactive, and they hold heat and cook food evenly, and they can be washed using a dishwasher. However, glass sheet pans are a poor heat conductor and can cause sweet dishes to be brown and are susceptible to thermal shock.
d). Carbon Steel Baking Pans
Carbon baking sheets are a commercial type as they are found in many restaurant kitchens, and it's pressed from raw and heavy-gauge steel, making them stronger and more durable than aluminum baking sheets. These baking pans are suitable for cakes, pies, bread, casseroles and other desserts as they achieve and maintain low and high temperatures giving a user maximum versatility.
The baking sheet will give a user long-lasting service when cared for properly, and to maintain these carbon steel baking sheets, you need to scrub their interior with water and a soft-bristle brush and avoid using soap. These baking pans are naturally nonstick, but they may need regular seasoning and maintenance since they are susceptible to rust when not cared for properly.
e). Clay / Stone Baking Dishes
Clay/Stone baking sheets are quality heat holders and non-reactive making them suitable for baked pasta dishes, gratins, pies, casseroles and bread puddings. These sheet pans conduct heat evenly and slowly, and they double up as attractive serving dishes once your bake is done.
The baking sheet can be cleaned in a dishwasher for easy cleanup, but the baking sheet material can cause browning in sweet dishes. Also, it is heavy to move and lift the material, and it may sometimes need seasoning because it may cause browning in sweet dishes and also susceptible to breakage and thermal shock.
f). Aluminized Steel Baking Pan
Aluminized steel is steel that is hot-dip coated with an aluminum-silicone alloy, and they are ideal for roasting and use in low to moderate heat applications. Aluminized steel bakeware is safe to use for roasting to bake your cake or cookies so long as it's taken care of properly.
Aluminized Steel baking sheets are a popular choice for commercial or professional bakers because they offer superior durability and corrosion resistance to guarantee long-lasting use. In addition, the high-quality material gives uniform heat transfer for browning and baking your cookies or cakes.
However, it's only advisable to use non-metal utensils on the pan's surface and hand washes or use metal-safe dish detergents. In addition, the material can react with acidic foods, and baking sheets made with this material type are pretty expensive.
g). Tin-Plated Steel Baking Pans
Tin-plated steel is sheets of steel covered with a thin tin coat, and they are ideal for deep dish pizzas or bake cakes. They are high-quality, non-reactive, distribute heat evenly, and retain it quite well.
For maintenance, it's best to hand wash using warm soapy water and try to avoid any scouring pads or any abrasive materials and then place the baking sheet in a warm oven to dry completely. Notably, tin-plated steel materials need regular maintenance and seasoning as they can darken with use and rust quickly.
h). Cast Aluminum Baking Pans
Cast aluminum is aluminum that has gone through a casting process, and thanks to their superior heat distribution, they are ideal for oven-to-table service and roasting. It has a lightweight, durable and cost-effective construction, and the even heat distribution promotes even baking for your baked goods. However, it can react with highly acidic foods and, for maintenance, use hands to clean or metal-safe dish detergents.
i). Hard-Anodized Aluminum Baking Pans
Hard-Anodized aluminum is aluminum that hardens the outer layer and thickens its surface through an electro-chemical process. It is non-reactive, and its non-reactive characteristics make it suitable for cakes with acidic batters, pastries, and any delicate dessert recipes.
Anodized aluminum has scratch resistance of metal utensils apart from sharp knives. It can be used on the baking sheet without damaging the surface, and it's also nonstick and non-reactive. It should be maintained by hand washing but keep in mind that the material may need regular seasoning ad also cooking times may need to be adjusted with different recipes.
What are the Primary Differences Between Stainless Steel and Aluminum Baking Pans?
The choice depends on your needs and budget, but either way, a good quality stainless steel cookie sheet is a must-have for every kitchen. Some of the differences include:
Stainless steel sheet pans are:
- More expensive
- These baking sheets don't have a health concern
- They can be used with temperatures of up to 500℉/260℃ even though the high temperatures increase the chances of warping
- Dishwasher safe
- Safe for use with kinds of vegetables
- Takes longer to heat and also retains heat longer
On the other hand, aluminum baking sheets are:
- Relatively lightweight
- There are health concerns about cooking using aluminum bakeware
- It is not dishwasher safe and can only be hand-washed
- Heats up quickly but also cools down quickly
- The maximum temperature is 450℉/230℃
- It is not suitable for use with acidic foods
Tips for Using Stainless Steel Bakeware
- If you love baking cookies, you should try and get three stainless steel cooking sheets, and this allows you to have one in the oven baking, another one cooling on a cooling rack and a third already cooled waiting to go to the oven.
- Opt for heavy-gauge dull cookie sheets than the thin or shiny sheets as these easily warp, and this results in uneven baking as the shiny baking pans reflect heat, thus preventing browning.
- Use parchment paper and silicone baking mats to help your baking sheets give you a better service and prevent discoloration.
- Remember that even if insulated cookie sheets are enough for a soft setting, the light-colored drop cookies can cause other cookie types to spread and melt. This results in an unappealing appearance and thin edges.
- Never set your cookie dough on a hot baking sheet as the dough may spread.
- Rotate your baking sheet from the back to the front halfway through your baking time, and this helps to give the most even baking possible. In addition, most ovens come with hot and cold spots; therefore, rotating can help prevent uncooked or burned areas.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Stainless Steel Baking Sheets
One of the essential factors we noticed as we reviewed the products in this article is the design of the steel pans. The design affects the ease of handling the baking sheets. If the bakeware is easy to hold, you will have a smooth experience placing it in and out of the oven without any danger. However, if it's challenging to manage your cooking sheet, you could quickly drop your baked cookies or the hot pan on yourself, leading to injury and heartache.
Some models feature rimmed edges, which can provide a place to position your fingers as you hold the baking sheet. One edge is constructed without a rim to allow you to slide the edibles off and onto a tray easily. However, a rimless sheet pan can be challenging to use since it doesn't offer any ergonomic support for holding the bakeware. Rimmed baking sheets are suitable if you want to quickly get them out of the oven, whereas non-rimmed baking sheets are suitable if you intend to bake delicate foods, and you will need to remove them slowly and carefully.
While stainless steel is a reliable and robust material, the thickness of your baking sheet can affect its performance. When the sheet is too thin, the oven's heat causes the surface to warp. In other words, it will pop outwards and probably throw off the contents you were preparing. This can be pretty troublesome, especially when you are cooking something flat.
A heavy-duty model will give you the best chance of managing the warping of the metal. A thick surface can resist the structural changes the high oven heat inflicts on your stainless steel baking sheet. It will make it easier to bake cookies without them popping out onto the oven surface.
Additionally, thin sheet pans are not as durable as their thicker counterparts. If you are looking for a long-lasting option, you'll be safer going with a stainless steel sheet that has a thick surface.
You'll also need to think about the size of cookie sheets you require. You can choose between a half sheet pan, quarter sheet pan, and full-size model. The one you select will depend on the size of your oven and the number of baked goods your family can handle.
- A full-size sheet typically measures 26x18 inches and is about an inch deep. These types are primarily used in bakeries, restaurants, and other commercial settings since they are pretty huge.
- A half sheet pan can measure 18x13 inches, just about half of a full sheet. These types are suitable for household use and can cook various foods, including vegetables and desserts. They have a large surface area and can even facilitate food cooking.
- A quarter sheet pan measures about 13x19 inches and is great for preparing small batches of cookies. However, it is only suitable for cooking snacks and meals for about two people.
The depth of the bakeware is also crucial, especially if you are planning to make juicy or stewy foods in the oven. You don't want a situation where juices are spilling from the steel pan onto your oven. This will give you additional cleaning of the oven after making the dish.
To avoid the extra chores, you can choose a stainless steel cookie sheet deep enough to hold the liquids released by your food. This can help you maintain the cleanness of your oven's interior, ensuring it can serve you for as long as possible.
The depth is also essential if you are handling vast amounts of food which could be the case if you have a large family. For example, a deep stainless steel cookie pan will accommodate more than a shallow one.
Baking sheets usually feature various types of finishes, and a mirror finish is one of the best as it helps reduce the risk of food sticking, giving you n easy time to release food and clean. The other most common finishes involve a chemical or nonstick coating. This nonstick surface prevents foods from sticking onto the pan, making cleaning them more manageable and sliding baked goods off. Unfortunately, the heat produced in the oven can sometimes cause a release of chemicals or coating materials, posing a health hazard.
Fortunately, baking sheets made from stainless steel don't feature a nonstick coating; instead, they have a smooth mirror finish. This finish doesn't just give the sheet pans a shiny appearance; it also prevents food from getting stuck on the surface during and after the cooking process.
Another benefit of the mirror finish is that it makes cleaning the sheet pans easier. Most of the models we've reviewed are dishwasher safe which means you can enjoy a hands-free cleaning experience maintaining them. You can also hand wash them with warm soapy water and dry them with a clean towel.
It's crucial to handle the cleaning immediately after cooking since letting the stains sit will make it harder to remove them. So, ensure you wash your steel cookie sheets every time you finish using them.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the best stainless steel baking sheets?
The best stainless steel sheet is the Fox Run Stainless Steel Cookie Sheet Baking Pan, durable, lightweight, and affordable according to reviews and pricing.
2. What is the best material for baking sheets?
Most baking sheets were made from aluminum, like the famous Nordic Ware. Still, it was realized that exposing aluminum to oven heat can release toxins into the food and vegetables. The best and safest material for baking sheets is stainless steel.
3. Are stainless baking sheets safe?
Yes, stainless steel is a high-quality and healthier option than aluminum baking sheets and can cook food more evenly.