Whether it's a Sunday afternoon outdoor cooking spree on your grill or smoker, any cooking process without an accurate cooking food meat thermometer is like driving a truck on the ice at night- with both your eyes closed! The best smoker thermometer allows you to keep your smoker temperature consistent for a perfect slow-cook BBQ. Alternatively, you could still go blind, waste so much time fussing and wondering whether it's cooked all the way through and more likely end up ruining it.
You'll often find thermometers that come with the grills and smokers you buy. But no matter how good the grill or smoker is, the meat thermometer it comes with will always leave so much to be desired, especially when it comes to an accurate temperature. Relying on your grill's built-in thermometer will only land you a series of disappointments and dry overcooked meat.
So do yourself the favor of investing in a reliable third-party thermometer, an accurate smoker thermometer setup. Choosing the best smoker thermometer might not sound as complex, but here are a few pointers worth considering to help streamline your buying decision.
Dome Thermometer or Grill Thermometer?
Splurging hundreds of dollars on the best new smoke doesn't necessarily guarantee you an equally good built-in thermometer on its dome. Virtually every manufacture will try to cut corners on the quality of the dome meat thermometer they give as an add-on, its business.
More or less, these dome meat thermometer dials are built to measure the temperature in the air space that's way above the actual food you are cooking. Additionally, with such low accuracy levels, it won't always give you the most accurate reading. Save yourself the heartache.
How Do the Best Smoker Thermometers Work?
To answer this question, you'd need to understand the types of smoker thermometers. Different kinds of smoker thermometers work differentlyHere's'sdifferentlyHere's's a brief outline of how different smoker thermometers work:
- Thermocouple probes – These are by far the fastest instant-read thermometer with a 2-5- second readout. They have 2 fine wires that intersect and go into the digital cooking food/ meat thermometer to help monitor temperatures
- Semiconductor-based sensor- This type of meat thermometer picks up the temperature using a bimetallic coil. On average, it takes roughly 20 seconds to give you the readout. For the most accurate temperature reading, among other settings, the meat probe should be 2-3 inches into the food
- Negative Temperature Coefficient (NTC) Thermistor – NTC thermistors are resistors with a negative temperature coefficient, meaning that they function by a decrease in resistance with increasing temperature. Simply put, it measures the food temperature according to its protein's resistance changes. When the temperature shoots up, the resistance goes down, thereby giving you a precise and fast temperature rating and reading
Where to Use the Best Smoker Thermometer?
Whenever you think of turkey, smoked brisket, whole chicken, pork butt, or any other large-sized gratifying pleasure in the form of a protein meal, then always pair up that thought with the best meat thermometers. Getting an accurate internal meat temperature helps give you better control over things to help you know what you're working with.
The best digital smoker thermometers will the proper temperature settings will take away the hassles of monitoring 8+ hour cooks. Other than using the best BBQ thermometer and maintaining the required oven temperature, a great cookout will require 2 important things:
- Maintaining a consistent low internal meat temperature (on average 225° – 250°F)
- Monitoring the internal temperature of the meat so that as the protein starts to break down, you can pull it out of the smoker for it to rest at an ideal temperature
What Should You Know About Infrared Thermometers?
In your quest for the best wireless meat thermometer, you'll come across infrared thermometers. These are handy devices that give an accurate temperature reading on the surface area of the meat.
While doing a barbecue or grill, you'd be more concerned with monitoring the ambient temperature in your grill or pit and the internal temperature of the meat. In this case, Infrared Thermometer won't be as useful.
However, they do come in handy whenever you need to measure the exact temperature of your pizza stone. With this wireless thermometer, you can stand back at a safe distance and check the temperature. Here's the list of the best smoker thermometers reviewed.
1. Soraken Wireless Meat Thermometer -Best Overall
The Soraken wireless thermometer should be the first name that trips off your tongue as you're trying to look for the best wireless smoker thermometer on the market. This dainty little unit comes packed with impressive features at such an appealing price/performance ratio.
Top on the list of the best smoker thermometers, this wireless digital meat thermometer gives you wireless connectivity. This nifty feature allows monitoring the temperature of the meat you're smoking remotely at a 170-feet range. It's equally a reliable smoker thermometer that you can use indoors but at a reduced remote range of up to 100 feet.
You also get 11 preset temperatures for foods as recommended by the USDA. With this level of accuracy, you get to cook with precision and confidence. When the food falls outside its preset temperature margin, the flashing and beeping will alert you.
With up to four probes included, you can remotely monitor the temperature of at least 6 different kinds of foods/meat simultaneously like a pro. Ultimately, the Soraken digital meat thermometer is one of the most versatile smoker thermometers you can get your hands on at such a reasonable price range.
With its durability, features, great construction and price range, this is one of the best smoker thermometers and BBQ thermometer that's a great choice for anyone with a smoker set up on their deck or the patio or has a relatively smaller yard.
- Dimensions: 3.5 x 3.1 x 1.4 inches
- Connection: Wi-fi
- Temperature range: 32F-572F
- Range: 196 feet
- Probes: 4 probes
2. NutriChef Smart Bluetooth Thermometer -Best Dual Probe Thermometer
The FireBoard 2 smart thermometer comes with some seriously innovative features that are sure to impress. It supports up to six probes (2 meat and 1 ambient temperature included) that make it an ideal digital thermometer when you're trying to feed a large crowd. In addition, the FireBoard 2 meat thermometer for grilling has one of the best thermometer apps in the market, with wi-fi/Bluetooth capability.
It has wi-fi/Bluetooth capability that's quite strong, so you can be sure that it won't lose connection at the worst possible moment like many other Bluetooth meat thermometers in the market. The fact that it's also cloud-connected means that once it's set up, you can read the smoker temperatures from anywhere in the world as long as you have a stable wi-fi connection. That also means that all your previous cooks are saved and easily accessible if you ever need to check them out.
Other than having up to six probes, the Fireboard 2 meat thermometer has the unique ability to automatically control the temperature in your charcoal smoker using its blower fan. Fireboard sells its own 20 CFM blower, but this unit works just as well with any compatible third-party fan.
Fireboard gives you 3 models to choose from, but most people will go for the FireBoard 2 Drive that allows you to run the fan without the need for any additional cables.
- Temperature range: ±0.7°F (±0.4°C)
- Temperature accuracy: ±0.7°F(±0.4°C), ±0.1%
- Connection: wi-fi and Bluetooth
- Probes: 6 probes
- Dimensions: 4.4 W x 2.8H x 1.1 D inches
4. Inkbird wi-fi Grill Thermometer IBBQ-4T -Best Rechargeable Grill BBQ Thermometer
- ✅【Wi-Fi Connection】Download Inkbird Pro app, this smoker grill thermometer is connected over...
- ✅【Rechargeable Battery to Save Money】The 2000mAh lithium battery of this Kitchen cooking...
- ✅【Temperature Graph & Calibration】The temperature graph of this food grill thermometer can be...
- ✅【Magnet Design and 4 Colored Probes】The magnetic design of this wireless grill thermometer...
- ✅【Timer&High and Low Alarm】Our digital meat thermometer has count-down timer, which is very...
Inkbird is an Australian-based company that gives you the Inkbird wi-fi grill thermometer IBBQ-4T. It not only incorporates wi-fi connectivity, but it also comes with all the necessary components, which include a USB-C charging cable, 2 grill clips, 3 meat probes, and 1 grill probe. Additionally, the meat probes also easily double as grill probes making this a great meat thermometer for grilling.
The Inkbird IBBQ-4T transmitter comes with a large bright screen with 1 button at the front for one-touch operations.
The probes are colored orange and black for visible contrast and to help keep your eyes focused on what's important. It also comes with a strong wi-fi connection to give you a more stable wireless connectivityIt's'sconnectivityIt's's built to measure temperatures between 32F-482F degrees with an app that allows you to customize temperatures in addition to its preset temperatures.
- Dimensions: 3.46"x3.46"x1.54"
- Temperature range: 32℉~482℉
- Temperature accuracy: ±1℃/±1.8℉
- Connection: Wi-fi
- Probes: 4 probes
- Range: 150 feet
5. Kizen Digital Meat Thermometer- Best Budget and Multi-purpose Pick
- Ultra-Fast: Our instant read meat thermometer takes a temperature in as little as 3 seconds. Say...
- Multi-Use: Our digital meat thermometer works great with beverages, deep frying, candy making,...
- Waterproof: Built for durability, the Kizen digital thermometer can be washed under running water....
- Convenient: Take the guesswork out of cooking with our easy-to-read cooking thermometer that...
- Gift Idea: No matter what the occasion is, our instant read food thermometer makes for an essential...
Kizen offers you an excellent meat thermometer budget pick if you're on a tight budget. With this, you get a simple but effective battery-powered digital thermometer that's capable of delivering a precise temperature reading instantly. The temperature is displayed on its easy-to-read luminous LCD screen.
It's a durably built strong performer that's waterproof and built to withstand long-term sustained use. Unfortunately, since it's an instant-read thermometer, you don't get any alerts with this digital thermometer. It also doesn't come with a smart functionality either.
- Range: Instant read
- Dimensions: 6.7 x 1.1 x 2.2 inches
6. NutriChef Smart Thermometer
- 2021 UPGRADED STAINLESS STEEL PROBES: Safely leave heavy duty metal probes inside any oven or grill...
- 328’ OUTDOOR WIRELESS RANGE: Professional smart cordless grilling kit and accessories. Get an...
- DONE SMARTPHONE ALARM: When the sensor detects the steak or meat reaches the set temperature the...
- 6 PROBE SIMULTANEOUS MONITORING: Comes shipped with 2 probes but add up to 4 more! Remote monitor...
- INSTANT READ DIGITAL DISPLAY: Large electric backlit LCD display can be held or set on adjustable...
This smart thermometer from NutriChef is ideal for grills, ovens, and smokersIt's'ssmokersIt's's a wireless digital meat thermometer that gives you the remote digital cooking food experience. This wi-fi/ Bluetooth meat thermometer commendably offers a 328 feet range outdoors and a 100 feet remote range that's ample for most people's homes.
With Bluetooth connectivity and a smart device app, you can control it and get alerts. It runs on a pair of AA batteries, which come included in the package, so it's quite ready for use right from the box. This Bluetooth meat thermometer with dual probe comes with 2 prongs and additional space to accommodate 4 more.
With this wi-fi/Bluetooth meat thermometer, you can monitor the temperature of multiple dishes simultaneously. The large backlit display is much easier to read, even from a distance and comes in handy when it's getting dark outside. This makes it also a great meat thermometer for grilling outdoors.
- Temperature range: 32F to 4822F
- Connection: Wi-fi and Bluetooth
- Probes: 6 -probe capacity
- Range: 328 feet
- Dimensions: 1.4 x 3.3 x 3.7 inches
7. Lavatools Javelin PRO Ambidextrous Thermometer -Great for Professionals
This ambidextrous PRO Duo model thermometer from Javelin is also top of the range and comes in an array of vibrant colors. It is mid-range priced and runs on lithium-ion batteries that come in purchasing the thermometer to deliver 4000+ hours of battery life.
The response time of this Instant digital thermometer is rapid, giving you a reading in 1 -3 seconds. You can also buy this meat thermometer with confidence, knowing it's a professional-grade for a seamless digital cooking food, meat and baking experience.
Its 2-inch display lets you see all the information at once. In addition, it has an IPX65 splash-proof rating, so you won't need to worry about a little moisture accidentally spoiling your precision-engineered unit.
- Temperature range: -40F to 482F
- Temperature accuracy: ± 0.9°F / ± 0.5°C
- Range: Instant reading
- Dimensions: 4.3 x 4.1 x 1.2 inches
8. Weber iGrill 2 Thermometer
- Four probe capacity (two meat probes included)
- Meat probes are heat resistant up to 716˚F
- LED temperature display; Clean with lint free cloth and non-abrasive cleanser. Never submerge in...
- Bluetooth connectivity
- 200-hour battery life (batteries included)
The Weber iGrill 2 thermometer has Bluetooth connectivity with an iGrill app. It comes with 4 probes to measure the different meats and types of food. Moreover, this grill/ BBQ thermometer also comes with an additional ambient probe to measure the smoker or grill temperature.
With its strong connectivity, you can easily pair its app with your transmitter. You get two meat probes, 2 probe wraps,2 colored probe indicators, 2 AA batteries, and a magnetic disc in the package. This BBQ/grill thermometer can easily measure temperatures between -22F-572F degrees, and the probes have a 716F degrees resistance. Once fully charged, its battery can go at least 200 hours.
This is a reliable thermometer that only offers a 150-feet Bluetooth range and comes with a warranty for 2 years to ensure you a safe investment.
- Dimensions: 2.2 x 2.2 x 3.2
- Temperature range: -22F -572F degrees
- Range: 150 feet
- Connection: Bluetooth
- Probes: 4 probes
9. Inkbird Wireless Bluetooth BBQ Thermometer IBT-6XS
- 🍖👍【Rechargeable Battery】This Inkbird bluetooth meat thermometer is built-in 1000mAh...
- 🍖👍【6 probes Smoker Thermometer】 IBT-6XS wireless grill thermometer has 6 sockets support 6...
- 🍖👍【Magnetic Design and Rotatable Screen】 The magnetic design on the back of the digital...
- 🍖👍【Timer and Alarm】Our oven kitchen thermometer Bluetooth has count-down timer, which is...
- 🍖👍【What You Get】One Bluetooth grill meat thermometer IBT-6XS + 5 meat probes + 1 oven...
The Inkbird wireless Bluetooth BBQ thermometer IBT-6XS comes with Bluetooth connectivity to your smart device for a hands-free, seamless remote temperature process. As its name suggests, it comes with 6 probes.
Having all these probes means that you can easily insert more than 1 probe in a single slab of meat with varied thicknesses to ensure consistent cooking. Alternatively, you can use these same probes in different dishes that are cooking simultaneously.
What's even more interesting about this grill/ BBQ thermometer is that each probe comes with individual displays in your app. So you can set the desired temperature to ensure that the whole steak comes out well done instead of medium done. When at a viable remote range its done alarm notifies you once the meat has reached the set temperature by generating an alerting sound on your smart device.
To guide your next grilling cookout, the Inkbird app also allows you to plot a temperature fluctuation graph that you can use. Other than getting your smoker temperature, this thermometer is packed with features that offer a wide range of meat temperatures between 32F-572F degrees.
In addition to this, it provides a temperature reading with a measurement accuracy within 1-2 degrees. The thermometer comes with great quality sensors and steel cables that can handle an oven temperature of up to 570F degrees from its durable make.
- Dimensions: 2.5x3.4x1.0 inches
- Temperature range: 32F-572F
- Temperature measurement accuracy: ±1.8°F (±1°C)
- Connection: Bluetooth
- Range: 150 feet
- Probes: 6 probes
10. Govee Bluetooth Meat Thermometer
- Monitor Remotely: The Govee Bluetooth Meat Thermometer can tranfer temperature data to your smart...
- Food Temperature Suggestions: Keep your grilling more efficient. On the Govee Home App, you can...
- Smart Alerts: Avoid the risk of overcooking or burning your food. Once your preset food temperature...
- Food Grade 304 Stainless Steel Probes: With ±1.8°F/1°C accuracy, our stainless steel thermometer...
- Easy Placement: This Bluetooth meat thermometer has strong magnet, folded stand and hanging hook,...
It might be a well-known brand, but Govee is a smoker thermometer that's very reasonably priced and outperforms many of its pricey counterpart models that cost twice the amount. In addition, its sleek and compact receiver comes with a large and easy-to-read display that can easily be used to monitor the temperature of the meats you're smoking or grilling.
You can measure food temperatures that are between 32F-572F; this covers most recipes that you can think of. With 6 temperature presets keyed in, this thermometer is ideal, a beginner-friendly model that's easy to use, especially if you're new to grilling.
You can choose between using the magnet, hook or stand, to get a configuration that works best for you. It has a reasonably stable and reliable Bluetooth connectivity with a maximum 200 feet range, so you can remain in full remote control while operating in a relatively smaller yard. You get 2 probes that are thrown in to round up this superb and pocket-friendly thermometer by Govee.
- Dimensions: 7.1 x 5.5 x 2.6 inches
- Temperature range: 32F to 572F
- Temperature Accuracy: ±1.8℉ (32° to 302℉) ±3.6℉ (302° to 572°F)
- Range: 196 feet
- Connection: Bluetooth
- Probes: 2
What Factors to Consider When Getting the Best Smoker Thermometer?
A) What Number of Probes?
When looking for a good thermometer, consider ones with a minimum of 2 probes for temperature. If you don't do multiple cuts in your smoker, this number of probes should be enough. But if you're planning to often load up your smoker with shoulders, briskets, saddles or racks of ribs, you should definitely consider getting a thermometer with 4-6 probes.
B) Is it Precise?
As you'd know from smoker thermometer reviews, smoking will require such precise temperature management. Just a few degrees of error will definitely be enough to spoil all your food. As with everything else generally, the more you pay for your smoker thermometer, the more accurate it is.
C) Easy to Use?
Even the best smoking thermometer should be as user-friendly as possible that even beginners won't fumble on the hassle of trying to use it. The displays should also be large and buttons responsive enough.
D) Is it Fast?
To minimize the number of times you'll open the smoker lid, you'll need a good smoker meat thermometer that instantly delivers real-time temperature readouts.
E) Is it Durable?
Meat thermometers have a great deal of use in cooking, so always look out for well-constructed units and built to last.
F) Is it Functional?
Count-up and countdown timers are extras that are nice to have. Having a magnetic backing to hold your thermometer in place while you let your meat cook is definitely a function you'll come to appreciate. Having backlit LCD displays is ideal when you have late-night cookouts. Always consider extra features that will come in handy and that you'll actually use rather than getting a thermometer with the most bells and whistles.
G) Wireless Connectivity?
Wireless connectivity means being able to remotely monitor and control the temperature of your food. At the same time, you get the freedom to mingle with the guests instead of slaving away on your smoker.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Smoker Thermometer
1. How accurate is the dome meat thermometer on the smoker?
Most smokers and BBQ grills come with an installed dial thermometer in the hood or dome of the cooker. They all have virtually the cheapest construction possible and none of them are as accurate as you will need them to be. The accurate temperature is averaged over the length of the thermometer stem, which you can then read on the dial.
2. How to tell if the meat thermometer is accurate?
To test the accuracy of your thermometer;
- Fill a tall glass with cold water and then add ice
- Then hold your thermometer in the ice and water for 30 seconds without touching either of the sides or bottom of your glass
- If the thermometer then reads 32°Fit's's32°Fit's's an accurate thermometer and can be used.
3. How to calibrate a smoker meat thermometer?
Fill a tall glass with ice and cold water that's just enough to fill up the space between the ice cubes. Stir the iced water for around 30 seconds to stabilize the water to the freezing point of 32 degrees. Place the tip of your thermometer in the iced water. The reading should read 32 degrees.