Every good chef knows to use the best spices when preparing food. However, fewer appreciate the advantages of using fresh spices for cooking the most delicious meals. If you want to improve the taste and aroma of your food, you need the best salt and pepper grinders to crush your ingredients as you cook.
These grinders also called salt and pepper mills, help you prepare fresh seasoning in no time. In the long run, you will notice you're able to save more money on ground spices as grinding your own means you will need to use less spice.
When ground spices are left unused for days or weeks, oxidation kicks in, and they start losing potency. As such, when you cook, you will be required to use larger amounts than you would by grinding small amounts for every recipe.
Now, if you know it's time you upped your cooking game and need a good salt grinder and pepper mill, this article is for you. Read on to find out which five models to consider, as well as more information that will help you when buying and using the grinders.
1. Willow & Everett Stainless Steel Salt and Pepper Grinder Set
- HIGH QUALITY GLASS AND STAINLESS STEEL GRINDER SET WITH STAND These salt and pepper shakers feature...
- BUILT FOR CONVENIENCE AND FUNCTION Unlike other spice grinder sets, this salt and peppermill pair...
- EASY REFILLING WITH NO MESSES Don't you hate constantly having to refill your salt and pepper...
- ELEGANT DESIGN With its brushed stainless steel encasing, glass body and ceramic grinder, this...
- HIGHEST QUALITY: Built from the highest quality stainless steel and glass, these salt and pepper...
These best salt and pepper grinders are made with stainless steel tops and clear glass bodies, plus they also come with a durable stainless steel stand. They are durable, and the clear bodies are ideal for showing when you need to refill your Himalayan salt or black or white peppercorns.
They are tall grinders with wide mouth openings to ensure mess-free refills that you won't have to do so constantly. In addition, the set's ceramic grinding mechanism is located at the top, is non-corrosive, and won't absorb flavors if you decide to change the spices.
In addition, each grinder comes with a plastic knob that allows you to adjust your ideal coarseness settings from fine to coarse. This salt and pepper mill comes at an affordable price and will also complement your dining table or kitchen counter.
2. Chew Fun Gravity Electric Salt and Pepper Mills
- ✅✅【UNIQUE DESIGN】This electric salt and pepper grinder set has a big and wide mouth spice...
- ✅✅【AUTOMATIC OPERATION】Our gravity salt and pepper grinder set allow you will not need both...
- ✅✅【ADJUSTABLE MILL】Electric pepper grinder with adjustable grinder,just turn the black knob...
- ✅✅【BLUE LED LIGHT】Why our salt and pepper grinder set choose blue LED light? --Blue light is...
- 💯💯【100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED】Our electric salt and pepper grinder offers a whole year...
This salt grinder and pepper mill set lives up to its Gravity name; all you have to do to start the grinder mechanism is to tilt it upside down towards the tapered end, and it does the rest. In addition, it stops immediately you lift it.
It comes in a brushed stainless steel upper body that houses the six AAA batteries that power the ceramic grinding mechanism. In addition, the clear container where you put the salt or pepper comes with a perfectly wide mouth, so you don't spill ingredients when refilling. However, it is small in size, which means you might have to refill more often.
Unlike any other manual grinder, this battery-operated salt and pepper mill looks elegant on your tables and grinds fast for tasteful, ground pepper and fine salt. In addition, it comes with different coarseness settings and at an affordable price.
3. Jagurds Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder Set
- Professional Quality That Lasts. Its housing and acrylic chamber design make the grinders extremely...
- Convenient One Button Single-handed Operation. Perfect for your loved ones who have arthritis or...
- Modern Design. Spice up your kitchen with these sleek and stylish salt and pepper mills. Its...
- Cordless Versatile Battery Powered. Each grinder uses 4 AA-sized batteries (Not Included) which are...
- Ideal Gift. Your perfect gift for Housewarming parties, Weddings, Holidays, Birthdays. Our...
This is your best battery-powered salt grinder and pepper mill set when you want durable construction and fast operation. It is tall to hold more ingredients and comes with an acrylic chamber that displays when you need to fill again.
The set is available in different stainless-steel materials and uses four AA batteries for the grinding mechanism. They are easy to reopen and refill and feature arrows on the side to help you lock after refilling.
To grind, you only need to press the button at the top after you adjust the coarseness. The ceramic grinder is located at the bottom of the mill, which is quite affordable and stylish. In addition, you'll get a 30-day moneyback guarantee.
4. OXO Good Grips Salt Grinder and Pepper Mill Set
- Grind and serve from the top of the Mills for mess-free storage
- Grind-selector locks into 5 different settings to easily adjust from fine to coarse
- Mills rest flat when upside down and have a wide opening for easy refilling
- Ceramic grinders won't corrode or absorb flavors and odors
- Tall, sleek design perfect for tabletop and kitchen use
If you are looking for your ideal salt and pepper grinder set that look good and get you fresh pepper and salt within no little time, this model from OXO will be your best buy. It comes with five grind settings you can choose from fine to coarse and requires the traditional twisting to start the grinding process.
This best pepper mill also comes with a wide opening at the base, making it easy to fill with ingredients. In addition, it is made with durable and clear ABS plastic that displays the ingredients inside, plus stainless steel bottom and top parts also add more life to the set.
When grinding, you will find the non-slip grip best for when your hands are wet or oily. Also, the set comes with a ceramic grinding mechanism that won't rust easily. Additionally, the grinder is located at the top of each unit, so you are guaranteed a mess-free countertop or table when you finish grinding.
5. COLE & MASON Oldbury Wood Salt and Pepper Grinder Set
- Carbon steel precision mechanism for pepper and diamond sharpened ceramic for salt, creates a smooth...
- Easily fill the salt and pepper grinders by removing the top
- Conveniently select between 6 pre-set grind levels for pepper and 3 for salt by twisting the base
- Traditional 8 inch tall wooden design with premium balance and weight
- Lifetime Cole & Mason Guarantee, hand wash with damp cloth, do not submerge. 6 or 3 settings for...
If you still want a wooden salt grinder and pepper mill set, this one for Cole & Mason could be your best one yet. It comes with a stainless steel top and bottom, with a hardened carbon steel grinding mechanism located at the bottom.
You get six coarseness settings to choose from, and the carbon steel grinding mechanism offers the best precision for the best spices. Refilling these grinders is also easy; you will only need a funnel, and you can pour your whole peppercorns and coarse Himalayan or Kosher salt. However, you will not be able to tell when to refill as the barrel is opaque.
While the grinders are a bit expensive, you will love the 8-inch height that holds more ingredients and the lifetime warranty that comes with each purchase.
Advantages of Using the Best Salt Grinder and Pepper Mills
If you read most chef recipes online, you will notice the emphasis on seasoning with salt and freshly ground pepper. Do you wonder why fresh pepper is better? Well, naturally, peppercorns contain some volatile oils that start dissipating as soon as they are popped.
When cooking, these oils improve the taste and aroma of your food and are generally healthier to consume than most stored pre-ground pepper. So, grinding just enough pepper for your recipe is a healthier choice, and so is grinding coarse salt, so it is easily absorbed into the food.
Let's point out some of the best advantages of using the best pepper and salt mills.
- You get healthier and tastier pepper for the best recipes
- You can grind salt into the finest grind size for fast absorption
- You can choose between fine or coarse pepper for your food, unlike using the same coarseness with sore-bought ground pepper
- A good grinder saves you money as you don't have to go looking for the freshest ground pepper
- Grinders complement your kitchen counter and dinner tables
Factor to Help You Buy the Best Salt and Pepper Grinders
When buying your best pepper mills and salt grinders, here are some important factors you need to consider to get the best deal.
a) Ease of use
Ideally, your grinder, on top of making healthier spices, should be easy to use on your wrists. Additionally, they should produce your pepper and salt fast and in the most consistent grind.
When considering how to grind, you can choose between a manual or a battery-powered grinder or an electric grinder. Manual grinders are easy to use by just turning a portion of the grinder, while an electric grinder comes with a push-button to start grinding.
b) Grind size settings
When buying pepper mills and salt grinders, look for the most grind settings so you can adjust your coarseness to suit your recipes. For example, some recipes will demand a coarse grind and finely ground salt, while others will also ask for a fine grind.
You can find a pepper grinder that offers a consistent grind with preset settings, while others come with different adjustment settings so you can adjust the grind as you see fit.
c) Barrel size
Another important factor to consider is the holding capacity of each grinder. Generally, you need your best grinder to hold as much salt and pepper as possible. Some grinders are designed in a tall design that measures 12 inches, while others will be six inches tall.
The size also dictates how often you will need to refill and also how comfortable the grinder feels in your hand.
While you need to grind your peppercorns and salt now and then, you must consider how easy it will be to pour them into the mills.
It is best to opt for a large mouth opening. If it is narrower, make sure the unit comes with a funnel so you can easily open it.
Look for materials that do not retain flavors to make the mills more versatile. Some grinders will be made with glass, plastic, wood, or stainless steel bodies. The best pepper grinding mechanism is made of ceramic as it will not absorb flavors so that you can switch between cumin peppercorns.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the Best Grinders
a) Why is a pepper mill and salt grinder important?
A salt and pepper grinder is good for convenience in the kitchen or dining table, but they also allow you to use fresh pepper with more taste and flavor. Additionally, fresh pepper offers better health benefits and will save you more money than always looking for fresh ground pepper at the store.
b) Is there a difference between a pepper mill and a pepper grinder?
You will notice that the pepper and salt mills are labeled either S or P to indicate which spice to put in the container. This is because the two grinders have different grinding mechanisms and mostly the materials used.
A salt grinder needs to have ceramic grinding mechanisms, while pepper grinders can use stainless steel grinding mechanisms. The reason for this is that salt will oxidize or corrode the stainless steel.
c) Are electric grinders better than manual grinders?
While manual grinders are as efficient as electric grinders, the latter is best for you if you have problems with your wrists or when you need to grind your spices fast. Electric grinders also have an easy mode of operation and can even be used with one hand.