While the kitchen is the heart of every home, it can be a source of air pollution inside the home, especially when cooking. The steam, grease, and smoke that arise from the cooking surface can easily spread to the entire house staining your furniture and making it harder to breathe. Fortunately, a quick solution to this problem is getting the best range hood. This post covers the best kitchen hoods on the market and how to choose an ideal unit.
Let's get straight to business!
1. Broan-Nu Tone Ductless Range Hood
- HIGH-QUALITY DUCTLESS RANGE HOOD INSERT: White hood insert improves ventilation and lighting over...
- EFFECTIVE INCANDESCENT LIGHTING: A protective lamp lens distributes light evenly over the cook-top...
- EASY CARE: Charcoal filter is replaceable so you can maintain optimum grease capture and keep the...
- VERSATILE: Separate rocker switches control the light and the 2-speed fan for easy use
- IDEAL SIZE: Range hood insert measures 21" and should be installed at least 18" above cook top
Our first pick among the best range hoods is the Broan-Nu Tone Ductless Range Hood, designed to deliver the air filtration you need to keep the air in your kitchen clean and fresh. It comes with non-ducted charcoal filters for removing grease, smoke, and steam from the surroundings as they escape from your cooking space.
What makes this Broan-Nu Tone unit the best range hood is the lighting function it offers. The lighting lamp is positioned to deliver an even distribution of light over the stove to let you see clearly while preparing dishes in the kitchen.
This model comes in a variety of colors meant to suit your indoor style without difficulty. Plus, the edges of this ductless hood are hemmed, and the sides are mitered to eliminate all sharp edges that could cause injury on impact. The stainless steel surface is smooth and easy to clean to reduce the need for maintenance while the filters are removable and dishwasher safe.
With the light switch and speed fan switch, you can enjoy a customized experience with this exhaust system.
2. Cosmo Under Cabinet Range Hood
- Built with cutting-edge technology and with the utmost care, Cosmo brings you beautiful premium...
- SLIM SPACE SAVING DESIGN: Slim profile saves space. Great for condos and apartments. Convertible to...
- EFFICIENT YET QUIET: 3-speed motor, 56dB max. Cosmo’s vent hood filters your kitchen without the...
- SUPERIOR MULTI-LAYER FILTRATION: Durable reusable aluminum mesh filters included to trap grease and...
- 5-YEAR LIMITED PARTS: Our customer support team is based proudly in the USA. Product Dimensions:...
The next best range hood for your kitchen is the Cosmo Under-Cabinet Range Hood featuring the latest technology for enhancing your cooking experiences. This stylish unit is built to deliver the functionality of a high-quality range hood at an affordable price.
It comes in a slim profile meant to reduce the need for a lot of space, making it a great choice if you live in a small-sized apartment or condo. Plus, if you purchase the Carbon Filter Kit, which is sold separately, you can change this unit into a convertible range hood for maximum versatility.
You won't have a hard time installing this unit since you can mount it under a cabinet or on a wall to vent the gases as you'd like. The motor running this rangehood features three different fan speeds to ensure you can adjust the performance to suit your needs appropriately. Plus, its powerful output doesn't, by any means, make it a noisy model.
It comes with durable aluminum mesh filters designed to capture air pollutants more efficiently while being reusable.
3. IKTCH Under Cabinet Range Hood
- Maximum Air Flow: Class leading 900 CFM with dual motors are more powerful then most competitors,...
- Ultra-quiet operation keeps noise level less than 60DB at high speed. The high-performance 4-speed...
- Contemporary Smart Design: Gesture Sensing & Touch Control Switch Panel, digital screen, full...
- Easy To Clean Filters: IKTCH 30in range hood is designed with stainless steel baffle filters, more...
- Bright Energy Saving Lamps: IKTCH features 2pcs LED lamps with a perfect adjustable intensity...
The IKTCH Range Hood also counts as one of the best range hoods on the market. It comes with a staggering fan speed of 900 CMF, thanks to the two motors that make it a better unit than most range hoods. This IKTCH unit is more suited for venting smoke and cooking grease in larger kitchens, making it a great option if you handle heavy-duty cooking.
This powerful range hood is a great option if you are looking for an efficient and silent unit since it comes with a low noise level of 60dB. Even at high fan speeds, you won't notice that the exhaust fan is running from other rooms since there are four different speeds you can choose from.
Something this IKTCH range hood offers that you won't find in other units is the gesture sensing and touch control switch panel, which allows you to control it without hassle. The stainless steel baffle filters are easy to clean since they are dishwasher safe and won't need a replacement any time soon since they have a durable build.
4. Hauslane Chef Series Range Hood
- CONTEMPORARY DESIGN: Whether you’re remodeling your entire kitchen or just upgrading appliances,...
- POWERFUL SUCTION: Lingering odors in your kitchen? A thing of the past. Prevent toxic and harmful...
- SAVE MONEY W/ 3-WAY VENTING: Keep your project simple and save you money! Choose from 3 venting...
- HIGHLY-CUSTOMIZABLE SETTINGS: Customize its performance through 6-speed settings to set suction and...
- EASY TO MAINTAIN AND USE: Simply pop the easy-to-remove stainless steel baffle filters into the...
Another suitable option among suitable range hoods is the Hauslane Chef Series Under-Cabinet Range Hood. It features a modern, sleek design that makes it a convenient fit for your kitchen with three color options. It has a digital screen for easier control of the unit and baffle filters built to last.
You won't have to worry about any cooking odors spreading to the other rooms of your house with this unit in your kitchen. It has a powerful suction that will remove all the smoke and harmful particles from your cooking space to give you fresh air.
With up to six-speed settings, you can select the most suitable fan speed for your cooking requirements or preferred noise level. You won't have a hard time maintaining this unit since you can quickly remove the stainless steel baffles and throw them into the dishwasher. Plus, the touch screen controls and buttonless design make this range hood easier to use.
5. CIARRA Wall Mounted Range Hood
- Stove hood with touch panel control, simple operate and sensitive reaction.
- 30 inch range hood with tempered glass, made of stainless steel, easy to clean, solid and durable.
- Vent hood for kitchen with 450 CFM airflow, powerful motor and suction, removes smells and odors...
- 3 speed exhaust fan for different cooking styles. Ultra quiet operation, less than 8.5 sones at high...
- Ductless mode work with CACF003 carbon filters, sold separately. Product Dimension: 29.53 inch (W) x...
If you'd rather go with an energy-efficient model, the CIARRA Wall Mount range hood is the most suitable choice. This convertible unit offers both ducted and ductless operation to maximize your convenience. It's designed to fit various kitchen designs with its modern look while the high performance will quickly exhaust cooking fumes, smoke, and grease as you cook.
With LED lights, which are energy efficient for bright illumination of your stove area, you won't have to struggle to see through the steam escaping your cooking space. Plus, the aluminum mesh filters are detachable and easy to wash to ensure you have the filtration necessary to keep your kitchen air clean.
You can expect maximum ease of use from this unit thanks to the Touch Panel Control, which you can use to select the best fan speed for the amount of smoke in your kitchen. Unfortunately, the carbon filters are sold apart, translating to additional costs if you want this unit to be fully convertible.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Range Hoods
1. Ventilation System
The range hood you choose for your kitchen will come with one of three ventilation systems; ducted, ductless, or convertible systems.
- Ducted Range Hoods
A ducted hood/recirculating hood features a vent connected to the outside for removing smoke, steam, and other gaseous pollutants from the kitchen. Vent hoods could mount to an interior or exterior wall, depending on your preferences. However, you shouldn't direct your vent to the attic or basement since this can lead to other indoor problems.
- Ductless Range Hoods
These range hoods feature a ductless ventilation system that filters the kitchen air and recirculates it into the room. The main advantages of ductless hoods are their affordability and ease of installation. However, they don't eliminate cooking odors as efficiently as a ducted range hood, and their filters need frequent cleaning and replacement.
- Convertible Range Hoods
These range hoods can work with or without ducts, making them versatile, which some users prefer. They mostly involve buying a recirculating kit that you might need to purchase separately from the unit.
2. Types of Range Hoods
There are numerous types of range hoods that can make it hard for a user to narrow down on a specific model. Let's look at the most common options below.
- Under Cabinet Range Hoods
Under-cabinet hoods are the most available type of range hoods you can find. They are affordable and are compatible with various kitchen interiors, which makes them popular among homeowners. As the name suggests, an under-cabinet hood goes underneath the kitchen cabinet above the gas cooktop.
Ideally, it should cover the entire width of the electric cooktops to ensure it exhausts all the fumes before they spread to the entire kitchen. These hood ranges are easy to install and can work efficiently in the home without requiring a lot of attention. Unfortunately, the ducted models of cabinet range hoods are more expensive and hard to install while offering better performance.
- Wall Mount Hoods
The range hoods that stand in areas without cabinets above them are mostly mounted on the walls. These units resemble the shape of a chimney and have a wider bottom meant for capturing rising smoke and fumes.
Wall Mount units are more pricey than under cabinet hoods, but they are ideal for stoves located in places without an overhead cabinet.
- Island Range Hoods
Island mount hoods look a lot like wall mount units because of their chimney-like appearance. However, they are designed for kitchens without a suitable exterior wall to mount a range hood. More specifically, an island range hood is meant for kitchen island designs with a centrally placed cooking stove.
Rather than venting out the fumes through the wall, this range hood connects the ducts through the ceiling. They are expensive, but most people prefer them for their aesthetic effect if not for the island kitchen design.
- Insert Hoods
Also known as power packs, hood inserts can be installed into any space to fit your aesthetic preferences to perfection. They are affordable, versatile, and look nice, but they end up being more expensive in the long run since they have high design and installation costs.
- Downdraft Hoods
Downdraft range hoods are probably the least popular option but are great if you want to keep your range hood out of sight when not in use. However, they connect to vents in the floors and direct air downwards contrary to the natural direction of the hot air, which makes them less effective.
If you want something similar to an island hood without having to duct into the ceiling, these hoods can be a decent choice.
3. Ease of Installation
A crucial factor to keep in mind when choosing high-quality range hoods is how easy it is to install them. Some range hoods, especially ducted ones, have a complicated installation process that will require tools and professional expertise, which can easily translate to a higher overall cost.
However, some units are easy to install even without assistance, like cabinet range hoods. You'll need to decide on whether you want an effective but costly unit that is hard to install or one that you can install yourself.
4. Adjustable Fan Settings
Another issue to consider when buying the best range hood is the fan speed settings. The units in this review have multiple fan speeds, which allow users to customize their ventilation experience. As such, you can easily increase the fan speed when steam is accumulating or lower the fan speed when there isn't much steam to vent.
Since it's the movement of the fans that causes noise, an adjustable fan speed can help you control the level of noise you hear. The higher the fan speed, the louder the noise. As such, it's crucial to take a unit that you can control to ensure maximum convenience.
5. LED Lights
LED lighting isn't mandatory, but it's a feature that most brands include to make their range hoods more versatile. One of the main challenges that steam and fume production causes are the difficulty to see clearly.
To solve this, range hoods come with an overhead light to help you see the cooking area without difficulty. If this is something you find interesting, you should go with a unit that can accommodate LED bulbs.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best range hood?
The Broan-Nu Tone Ductless Range Hood is the best range hood you can buy for your kitchen ventilation needs.
2. Which brand of range hood is best?
There are several brands that deliver premium quality range hoods but, the most suitable brand is Cosmo.
3. How many CFM do you need for a range hood?
You can find the ideal CFM by multiplying your stove width by 10 or measuring 100 CFM for every 10,000 BTU of your stove.