Nowadays, electric pressure cookers are called multi-cookers since they now have the ability to steam, slow cook, saute, etc. Moreover, they offer great performance at a reasonable price and an amazing design that is very simple to use.
To help you find the perfect pressure cooker for you, we have curated the five amazing electric pressure cookers in the market today, their pros and cons, as well as factors you need to consider before buying an electric pressure cooker.
5 Best Electric Pressure Cookers
1. Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus 10-in-1 Pressure Cooker
- The best gets even better: Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus is the latest evolution of the all-time...
- Cooks fast & saves time: Cooks up to 70 % faster; New 1400w heating element reduces preheating time...
- Consistently delicious as you like it: 48 customizable presets for soups, beans, rice, ribs and...
- Cookware grade inner pot: New 304 (18/8) stainless steel inner pot with easy grip nonslip handles...
- Plenty of recipes: Free Instant Pot app on iOS and Android devices is, loaded with hundreds of...
The Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus 10-in-1 Pressure Cooker is the company's most intuitive and user-friendly model. It can also be used as a pressure cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, slow cooker, cake maker, saute pan, and sous vide machine.
It features 48 customizable cooking presets for different types of meals, for example, rice, beans, soups, etc. In addition, the inner pot of Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus 10-in-1 Pressure Cooker can be used for browning, and it also comes with handles to help you lift it out easily and transfer it to the countertop.
This Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus 8-Quart Pressure Cooker incorporates safety features such as a safety lock, protection against overheating, and an easy self-sealing lid. It has stay-cool handles that provide a more stable lifting and also has a built-in steam diffuser.
2. Ninja Foodi 7-in-1 Pressure, Slow Cooker
- The compact pressure cooker that crisps. Pressure cooker, air fryer, tender crisper
- Tender crisp technology allows you to quickly cook ingredients, then the crisping lid gives your...
- Pressure cook up to 70 percent faster vs. Traditional cooking methods vs. Slow cooked, braised, or...
- Air fry with up to 75 percent less fat vs. Deep fried, hand cut french fries
- 5 quart ceramic coated pot is nonstick, PTFE/PFOA free, and dishwasher safe
If you're looking for both an air fryer and pressure cooker in one compact device, then the Ninja Foodi 7-in-1 Pressure Cooker is one of the best options out there. The Ninja company is a trusted brand known for its small but powerful appliances.
This 7-in-1 pressure cooker can act as an air fryer, a crisper, and a pressure cooker. An outstanding feature of this appliance is the TenderCrisp technology that allows fast cooking using the pressure cooking function, and then you can crisp it with the Cook and Crisp basket.
It is quite solid and well made to withstand heavy use. Furthermore, it doesn't take up too much of the counter space; however, the extra lid might need a place to be stored. Clean up is also quite easy.
3. Yedi 9-in-1 Total Package Instant Programmable Pressure Cooker
- XL SIZE & 9 APPLIANCES IN 1: Pressure cook, slow cook, sauté, steam, make cakes, pasteurize, make...
- RISK FREE SHOPPING: Within 2-years of your purchase Yedi Houseware will refund your money and or...
- 15 INSTANT-TOUCH MICROPROCESSOR COOKING PROGRAMS: Poultry, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Soup, Sauté/Sear,...
- DELUXE ACCESSORY KIT: Included is a tempered glass lid (perfect for slow cooking and sautéing) 2...
- RECIPES & CHEAT SHEETS: Comes with a Recipe Book and Cheat Sheets! In addition, the Yedi Houseware...
If you're looking for the best pressure cookers for dinner parties, families, and other large groups, then the Yedi 9-in-1 Total Package Instant Programmable Pressure Cooker is a pretty decent appliance that includes a large 8-quart cooking pot.
Just like other electric pressure cooking, this appliance will allow you to slow cook, saute, pressure cook, make a cake, cook rice, steam and also help keep the food warm. In addition, it has a customizable feature that comes with accessories to make your cooking experience even easier.
It also includes a Yedi app that is free to download and where new recipes are uploaded every week. Unlike other cookers in the market, this one offers the flexibility to manually input the cooking times and set the different pressure levels.
4. Zavor LUX LCD 8 Quart Programmable Electric Multi-Cooker
- Featured functions: pressure cook (High and low), slow cook (High and low), steam, brown, flex (that...
- Over 33 programmable settings include: meat, beans, Soup, risotto, vegetable, omelets, cheesecake...
- The white rice setting cooks rice as a traditional rice cooker would, using only steam. The Flex...
- The brown function allows you to brown foods in the same pot before cooking. Steam cooks your...
- Etl approved. The Multi-Cooker won't open if there is pressure inside. The powerful heating element...
The Zavor LUX LCD 8 Quart Programmable Electric Multi-Cooker features 14 preset functions for beans, rice, meat, oatmeal, chili, etc. It is quite similar to Instant Pot since the model combines a pressure cooker, slow cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, and rice cooker.
These functions allow you to saute and brown the ingredients with a manual recipe function in case you want to customize. In addition, this appliance has 24-hour warming and time delay functions for improved convenience.
You can choose between the 4-quart, 6-quart, and 8-quart options depending on how many servings you want to cook at once. It is easy to use, clean up, and it is also quite an attractive kitchen appliance.
5. Breville Fast Slow Pro Slow Cooker, Brushed Stainless Steel
- Color changing LCD tells you when the cooker is pressurizing, cooking or releasing steam
- 3 Way Safety System/Safety locking lid, automatic hands free steam release, safety valve
- 11 pressure cook settings plus a custom setting to suit your favorite recipes
- Keep Warm function turns on after cooking so food is ready to serve when you are
- Removable cooking bowl with PTFE and PFOA free ceramic coating
The Breville Fast Slow Pro Cooker, Brushed Stainless Steel comes with tons of customizable cooking settings. This means that you can control the pressure level, temperature and choose between the auto pulse, auto quick, or natural pressure release settings.
It includes an amazing LCD display and knob controls that make the interface easy to use. It comes with 11 preset cooking programs that make it easy to cook different meals. Some of the settings which are included in this pressure cooker are soup, meat, vegetables, stew, rice, dessert, etc.
The model also has a keep-warm function that will turn on after cooking the food to ensure that the food stays warm until you're ready to serve. The removable cooking bowl is also quite durable with a stainless steel material as well as PTFE and PFOA-free ceramic coating.
How Do Pressure Cookers Work?
Pressure cookers use pressure to cook meals that are inside the pot. Since these cookers is completely sealed with no air outlet, then the liquid turns into steam and, in turn, increases the pressure inside the pot.
When the pressure in the cooking pot increases, then it allows the temperature of the liquid in the pots to rise above the normal boiling point. As a result, the food in the pot cooks faster because of the high temperatures.
Electric Vs. Stovetop Pressure Cookers
When it comes to the comparison of a stovetop or electric pressure cooker, there are a number of ways that these cookers differ, including;
- Versatility- A stovetop pressure cooker will only allow for temperature control, while electric models are multi-cookers that offer a wide range of customizable options.
- Searing- Electric pressure cookers come with limited searing ability, while the stovetop ones are pretty decent when it comes to searing.
- Size- A stovetop pressure cooker tends to offer a wider range of sizes since most electric options come in a range of between five to eight quarts.
- Ease of Use- Electric cookers are easier to use compared to stovetop types because you only have to set it then it will do its thing.
- Slow Cooking- This option is only available for electric pressure cookers.
- Pressure- A stovetop pressure cooker can reach a pressure level of 15 psi, while electric pressure cookers only max out at 12 to 12.5 psi.
- Cleaning- Both the stovetop and countertop pressure are easy to use, but the stovetop pressure cookers tend to be easier to clean because of fewer parts.
What Do You Consider Before Choosing the Best Electric Pressure Cooker?
If you're planning to prepare meals for a good huge number of people, you need to find an instant pot in large quantities. On the other hand, if you only need it for a small family, then a smaller one will help you save money and storage space as well.
2. Setting and Features
Some pressure cookers come with a fixed setting, while others have customizable options. For example, this means that you can choose between the different pressure options from high pressure to low pressure.
The best electric pressure cooker like Instant Pot also comes with the ability to choose between the different temperatures and other settings. Some come with manual settings, while others offer more preset options to match different needs.
3. Safety Features
Most electric pressure cookers include an automatic safety pressure release valve that will vent the pressure if the main valve gets stuck or blocked. These release pressure valves rise and fall using the pressure inside but won't actually vent steam until a fixed safety point is reached. The direction of the steam is also very important when it comes to pressure cookers.
Most of these cookers will vent the steam up in a jet because the cooking steam is quite hot, and you could easily burn yourself if you come into contact with it. Some pressure cookers vent the steam under a shield in all directions to reduce the chances of burning yourself.
Depending on the design and materials used, different pressure cookers will heat and maintain their internal temperatures more or less effectively compared to others. Check the reviews to determine if the design and materials are efficient enough to prepare the kind of food you're cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Electric Pressure Cookers
1. Are electric pressure cookers any good?
Yes, there are, especially if you're looking for convenience and versatility when it comes to cooking a variety of meals. The best pressure cookers will cook your food much faster compared to other traditional cooking methods, and the customization options provide the best-cooked meals.
2. Is it better to slow cook or pressure cook?
Both slow cooking and pressure cooking options are great, depending on what you're looking to achieve. A slow cooker uses low temperatures and long cooking times to prepare food, while a pressure cooker uses hot steam to cook food quickly slowly.
3. How long do electric pressure cookers last?
Many pressure cookers that are well built with high-quality materials are said to last for over five years. So, as long as you take care of your instant pot and clean it well, then it is expected that it will last for a good number of years.
4. Is a pressure cooker healthy to cook with?
Pressure cookers are safe to use and are actually one of the best ways to preserve food nutrients when compared to other cooking methods. However, some people argue that compared to boiling, pressure cooking in an instant pot might destroy more anti-nutrients.
5. What is the best electric pressure cooker on the market?
The Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus 10-in-1 Pressure Cooker, from the Instant Pot brand, is a user-friendly and intuitive model that has outstanding features that is easy to use and makes ideal pressure-cooked meals.
This Instant Pot pressure cooker has 48 customizable cooking presets for different types of meals, for example, rice, beans, soups, etc. In addition, the inner pot of this Instant Pressure Cooker can be used for browning, and it also comes with handles to help you lift it out easily and transfer it to the countertop. If you're pressed with time, the best electric pressure cooker will help you get dinner to the table fast. Moreover, this is an all-in-one cooking appliance that provides a hands-off approach to cooking which means you spend less time standing in front of the stove.