There's plenty of heavy lifting that goes on in the kitchen. But you don't always require a big, chunky kitchen appliance, like a wall oven, to get the job done well. The best convection toaster oven can churn out all the power you need to carry out several cooking tasks, from toasting and roasting to broiling and backing. Furthermore, convection toaster ovens require significantly less power to run, making them much more energy-efficient than a full-size oven.
Why a Convection Toaster Oven?
A convection oven is pretty much a regular toaster oven. The only difference is, it comes with a built-in fan that circulates hot air around the chamber and over the food more evenly. As a result, the oven heats up faster and consumes less energy while still fulfilling the performance standard. More so, convection toaster ovens emit less heat into the air; all these factors culminating in a long-lasting kitchen appliance.
These toaster ovens are not only ideal for toasting bread but also great for baking cookies, roasting chicken, cooking frozen meals and reheating leftovers. With such a wide range of cooking functions, convection toaster ovens tend to be more expensive than their regular counterparts. However, you really do get what you pay for, particularly with their larger capacity, versatility, convenience, energy-efficiency, durability and, just as important, better-tasting foods.
Here's our in-depth roundup for the best convection toaster oven:
1. Best Overall: Breville Bov845bss Smart
- The Breville Smart Oven Pro with Element iQ System is a high performance countertop oven; Reduce...
- Element iQ System: Using 5 independent quartz elements, smart algorithms steer power to where and...
- Convection Powered: The Smart Oven Pro's convection setting reduces cooking time by up to 30%; An...
- 10 Cooking Functions: versatile countertop oven with 10 cooking functions to guide you to...
- Smart Oven with Slow Cook Function: Take your time to tenderize and develop complex flavors using...
The Breville Smart Oven comes top of the list thanks to its high capacity and a wide range of preset settings. According to the manufacturer, it can accommodate six slices of bread and 9-13-inch pizzas. It's compact yet spacious, using 1800 watts to heat up and cook quickly.
This smart oven comes with a whole array of cooking functions for several types of foods, such as cookies, sandwiches, pizza and chicken breasts. It achieves this by letting you choose the exact time, temperature and cooking method you want for a particular kind of food. It also features the latest cooking technology, Element IQ, for precise and stable heat control. This helps to transfer heat over five quartz elements -which can be preset individually-for much more even heat distribution.
The oven also comes with an interior oven light for better visibility. It's very easy to control, thanks to the legend display. Plus, it has a non-stick cavity coating that makes the cleaning process really easy.
2. Largest Capacity: BLACK+DECKER TO3250XSB
- Fits Most Oven Pans - Use the pans you already have! This spacious oven fits most standard...
- Convection Heating - The powerful convection fan circulates warm air throughout the oven for fast,...
- Temperatures in the oven will be lower than your set point. This is due to advanced heating elements...
- 60-minute Timer - The 60-minute precision timer features stay-on functionality for longer baking...
This oven is a great choice if you're looking to replace your old oven with a larger convection oven. The BLACK+DECKER TO3250XSB is a great improvement from previous models, with a bigger capacity for increased productivity.
It's made from sturdy stainless steel, with a wider interior that fits up to 8 slices of bread or a full 12-inch pizza. It's a durable all-purpose oven that's great at a couple of cooking functions, like toasting, reheating or keeping food warm. Furthermore, with a much bigger interior, this oven can accommodate most standard oven pans with handles.
The oven has a dedicated toast timer and temperature dial settings for more functionality and versatility. It comes with a toasting rack, a crumb tray and a baking/broiling pan, all of which are pretty easy to insert and take out.
3. Best for Toasting: Cuisinart TOB-260N1 Chef's Convection Oven
- Spacious 0.95 cubic-foot capacity oven Fits 13" pizza and 9" x 13" baking pan
- 15 cooking functions, including innovative dual cook, and speed convection.
- Digital controls with large blue backlit display and LED buttons. BPA free; Convenient auto-slideout...
- Always even toast shade control offers consistent results slice after slice. Interior light
- Unit Actual Dimensions: 20.87" L x 16.93" W x 11.42" H
If you're simply obsessed with toast, the job hardly gets as expertly done as this oven accomplishes! It comes with preset settings to make snappy work of browning and crisping virtually anything you feel like toasting- bread, waffles or bagels. Thanks to the always-even toast shade control, toasts come out as close to perfection as it gets.
This toaster oven also comes with added functionality, including cooking settings for other common food items, like sandwiches, pizza or leftovers. It's also pretty solid for baking. So now you can bake your goods without worrying about power consumption. The only significant downside to this toaster oven is the dial controls instead of digital.
4. Best Digital: hOmeLabs Digital Countertop Convection Oven
- CONVECTION HEATING - Uses convection heating technology to circulate warm air throughout the...
- LARGE CAPACITY - This toaster oven can comfortably fit a 12 inch pizza, 6 slice of bread toast at...
- PREMIUM FEATURES - Features a digital LCD display with easy to use controls that allows you to set...
- FLEXIBLE RACK POSITIONS - Allows for 3 rack positions that give you total control over how you place...
- USEFUL ACCESSORIES - Stylish stainless steel toaster with a brushed and matte finish that is easy to...
If you want a great unit that's not too expensive, the Homelabs 1500w is the toaster oven for you. It a stainless steel workhorse that comes with a brushed and matte finish. It allows you to choose between 1o different cooking functions, from toasting to baking and broiling.
This superior digital toaster oven is pretty compact and takes up very little space. Yet, it still has 3 rack positions that can accommodate up to 6 slices of bread or a 12-inch pizza. The LCD display is fairly easy to use. Plus, it features a transparent door that lets you keep an eye on the cooking process.
In addition to the unit, the oven also comes with a broiler rack, rotisserie fork, bakeware pan and a removable crumb tray.
5. Best Budget: Oster Digital Convection Toaster Oven
- 6 slice convection toaster oven for faster, more even cooking. This Oster Large Digital Countertop...
- Convection technology and a wide temperature range of 150 to 450 degrees F let you cook with the...
- Digital controls with 7 cooking settings and an interior light for easy viewing
- Large interior can accommodate one 12 inch pizza, casseroles, cookies, and even a roast; Oven...
- Includes Durable baking pan and removable crumb tray for easy cleanup. Watts: 1300w
This is not a particularly small toaster oven, but its large capacity makes it one of the most versatile options on the market. It has an elegant stainless steel finish that will definitely look terrific with any décor.
It functions across a sizeable temperature range, from 50°F to 450°F, to deliver nothing short of the best cooking experience. This includes nifty electronic controls that support 7 cooking settings. On top of roasting, baking and reheating also has a defrosting feature- you can now get rid of your potentially harmful microwave.
This toaster oven is quite spacious, large enough to fit 6 slices of bread, a 12-inch pizza or a 9" x 13" pan. It also operates exceptionally quieter than most other ovens. Lastly, it also features an interior light that stays on when the appliance is running and a 90-minute timer that shuts it off automatically when it finishes.
Factors to Consider in the Best Convection Toaster Oven
1. Stainless Steel Housing
Stainless steel has been the go-to option for cookware for a couple of decades now. The material is popular for several reasons; from its lustrous appearance to the incredible durability. Therefore, it could be said that convection toaster ovens with a stainless steel finish have a lifetime quality guarantee and will possibly never go out of style.
Stainless steel is also resistant to heat, water and (obviously) stains. This is quite a big selling point for people who spend a fair deal of their time in the kitchen. It's almost standard practice that the best toaster ovens feature stainless steel housing.
Determining the right oven size comes down to personal factors. Bigger units can take up a 12- 13-inch frozen pizza or even roast a full-size chicken. A small toaster oven is best for simpler tasks, such as making toast, baking cookies and snacks or reheating soups.
When it comes to capacity, you'll also want to consider rack positions. Most units have two, but the larger ones have three. An additional rack position gives you more cooking versatility, especially for dehydrating or air frying. Generally, the upper rack is used for broiling, the middle one for toasting bread and baking, and the bottom for baking pizzas or large roasts.
It is worth noting that units with larger capacities-more shelf space- are usually heavier and more difficult to move around. On the other hand, smaller toaster ovens are impressively compact in that they fit easily on a standard kitchen cupboard without taking up too much real estate. Before you set out to get the best convection toaster oven, ensure you have sufficient counter space to fit it in.
3. Straightforward Operation
Like any other appliance built for the average consumer, the best convection toaster oven should be pretty simple to use. Look out for a unit with clearly labeled controls and a display that's easy to read. It would be best to consider a toaster oven with built-in preset cooking functions to derive more energy efficiency, thus saving time and money.
Just as important, the best toaster oven should also be easy to clean and maintain.
4. Features and Accessories
All convection ovens are not built equal. The ideal toaster oven for you depends on how frequently you plan to use it and what you intend to cook with it. For instance, you may want to opt for a model with a special pizza drawer if you like making your own pizza. On the flip side, this would be a deterrent for people avoiding carbs.
Most convection ovens come with at least one rack and a broiling/baking pan. Some models even include a removable crumb tray that can be cleaned safely in a dishwasher. If you're willing to spend a bit more, some ovens come within an air-frying rack, others with rotisserie pits or a pizza stone. And how about interior light and glass doors, so that you can look inside easily without opening the door?
When looking for the best convection toaster oven, you'll also want to keep the other kitchen appliances and décor. If everything has sleek and modern aesthetics, it follows your convection oven should also look sleek and modern. If you have a traditional kitchen, you're probably better off with a more basic model.
As you would expect, there's a toaster oven for every budget out there. The amount you're willing to spend determines what you can expect from the unit. Premium models, although pricier, guarantee highly reliable operations with very little maintenance. They also come with innovative features, like digital controls, cooking settings, automatic shut-off or even a built-in camera, for more efficiency and convenience.
Conversely, entry-level and budget options mostly perform the basic tasks: toast, bake, roast, reheat. That being said, there are several cheap toaster ovens, especially from reliable brands, that still perform these primary functions exceptionally well.
Frequently Asked Questions about Convection Toaster Ovens
1. Which one is better: Convection or Air Fryer Toaster Oven?
It depends. Both appliances cook food relatively fast, although air fryers are slightly quicker with less flipping and tossing. They are also more suited to people who don't want to cook their food in oil or prefer their food crispier. However, air fryers cook food best when it's in a single layer.
Convection toaster ovens have a better capacity. Plus, they are much quieter in operation than air fryers.
2. How do I clean a dirty toaster oven?
Most modern toast ovens come with self-cleaning mode. First, set it outside. Soaks the accessories overnight and scrub the pesky grease stains with a mixture of dish soap and baking soda.
You can also take the appliance apart and give it a good old sink wash with soap and sponge. The metal tray, lower crumb tray and rack can go in the dishwasher.
3. How much power do toaster ovens use?
On average, a toaster oven consumes 1300 watts, depending on the selected cooking mode. For context, a wall oven uses between 2500 and 5ooo watts and it cooks twice as long as a toaster oven. A microwave uses around 900 watts every hour, taking three times the cooking time. This means a toaster oven saves you anywhere from 50% to 800% electricity to cook the same thing.
However, if you're reheating or defrosting food, a microwave is faster at these two than a toaster oven and saves you 30% electricity.