If you've ever had to do any recipe that requires fresh peeled apples, then you understand how tedious and challenging it can be peeling an apple or any fruit whatsoever. The task is even more challenging when you don't have the right tools. With the best apple peeler, peeling an apple is made easier.
Most apple peelers have been designed to both slice and core the fruit. Purchasing a new apple peeler will make this painful task easy and complete within the minimum time possible. However, with the wide range of options, getting a standard apple peeler that is easy to use to peel as well as sliced apples can be a challenging task.
To ease the work for you, we have a review of the five best apple peelers and highlight the fundamental aspects you need to consider before buying an apple peeler that will match your family's and your needs.
5 Best Apple Peelers
1. OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler
- Swiveling twin blades with flexible action easily peel potatoes, apples and other tough skinned...
- Soft, oversized handle designed for repetitive strokes
- Comfortable non slip grip, even when wet
- Built-in potato eye remover
- Large hole in handle for easy storage
The OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler is a sharp and comfortable apple peeler that you peel while pushing the blade away from you, making it a safer option, especially for those who are worried intimated by a sharp object. It features a sharp and sturdy stainless steel swivel blade that will peel through even the toughest fruits and vegetables.
This straight peeler will comfortably fit all hands, which will make it a lot easier to grip with one hand and comfortably hold the vegetable with the other hand. It has the ability to peel even the crazy angles in the apple and also a great blemish remover.
Moreover, this apple is dishwasher safe which makes it easy to clean. It comes with a large hole on the handle, which makes it easier to store. This slicer is a perfect tool for prepping fruits and other vegetables because of the ergonomic design to comfortably fit the palm and pressure-absorbing processed rubber handle to ensure less tension on the hands during this tedious work.
2. VKP Brands VKP1010 Johnny Peeler
- Quickly and easily peel, core and slice any apple variety
- Coring/slicing blade can be removed for potatoes
- All blades are stainless steel
- Peeling blade can be adjusted for a thick or thin peel
- Five Year Warranty
The Johnny apple peeler boasts a powerful and enamel-coated iron to ensure it cuts the apple with ease. Its handle is made up of wood that is not only attractive and sleek but also quite effective and comfortable to use. This model features a 3-way operation that includes slicing, coring, and peeling apples, at the same time.
Its base is made of powerful suction to ensure the device stays in place while slicing apples. This means that it is highly stable during the operation no matter the surface used for operation. It helps to minimize the possible accidents that might occur when using the apple peeler.
It features a rust-resistant stainless steel blade to prevent the succulent from other fruits from contaminating the apples. The blades can be adjusted, which allows you to determine how deep you want to cut. It can withstand usage for long periods of time and also includes a five-year warranty.
3. KitchenAid Spiralizer Attachment, 1", Silver
- Spiralizing Blades - Medium and Fine; Slicing Blades - Slicing (Large Core) and Slicing (Small...
- On your stand mixer and uses the power of the motor to operate the spiralizer attachment
- Premium metal construction provides durable long lasting performance, and when attached to the stand...
- Packed and organized inside its own storage case, designed for easy access and simple storage
If you already have a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer, this attachment will make peeling, coring, and slicing apples and other fruits and vegetables much easier. The KitchenAid Spiralizer Attachment, 1", Silver apple peeler is a sturdy and powerful dishwasher safe option.
It comes with several parts that include a spiral slice (large core), a spiral slice (small core), a peeler, a fine spiralizer, and a medium spiralizer. You can easily place it on your stand mixer and use the power from the motor to operate the spiralizer attachment.
This apple peeler attachment has a premium metal construction that is durable enough to last for long-lasting use. When attached to the stand mixer, this fruits and vegetable peeler offers stability and ease of use. It also comes with its own case for easier access and storage.
4. Cast Magnesium Apple/Potato Peeler Corer by Spiralizer
- Made To Last - Forged From Ultra-Strong Die Cast Magnesium, not brittle steel for greater stability...
- The Highest Quality - Rust-proof Chrome Plated Winding Rod and 3 prong extension with safety cap....
- Easy To Use - Powerful Rubber Vacuum Base holds onto tabletop for tremendous stability. Excellent...
- Versatile - Slices, Cores and Peels Tomatoes, Fruits, Apples and Potatoes. Easy to Wash and Clean...
- Live Friendly Customer Support & Lifetime Warranty - All of our Spiralizer products are backed by...
The Cast Magnesium Apple/Potato Peeler Corer by Spiralizer is one of the strongest and best apple peelers out there. It is made from an ultra-strong magnesium die-cast that is not only powerful but also durable. This ensures ultimate strength and stability during operation, together with the chrome-plated winding rod that is rust-proof.
It comes with a 3 prong extension and a safety cap to ensure maximum safety for both the user and the people around them. This great apple peeler is a 3 in 1 where it can remove the core of the apple, slice the apple and later slice it into rings where the product is attractive, all in one simultaneous and swift action.
The Cast Magnesium apple peeler features a poly handle to ensure a strong grip during operation. The blades are made from stainless steel and also chrome-plated parts. The base of this apple peeler has been designed with a rubber vacuum that perfectly stays in place on the countertop to prevent injuries. It is easy to maintain and use and won't require a manual.
5. Kuhn Rikon Original Swiss Peeler Set
- The ultimate all-purpose Y peeler in a set of 3 - ideal for a wide variety of fruit and vegetables...
- Feature a razor-sharp straight carbon steel blade that maximizes smoothness and minimizes wastage
- Incorporates a convenient potato eye remover and is suitable for right and left-handed use
- Dishwasher safe but hand-washing with warm, soapy water is recommended (always dry the blade...
- Made in Rikon, Switzerland since 1986 and more than 20 million sold worldwide
Whether you are a beginner or pro in the kitchen, the Kuhn Rikon Original Swiss Peeler Set will be a great option for you. It is a three in one peeler set where it comes with a red, yellow, and green peeler. All three peelers are great for slicing apples as well as other fruits and vegetables.
This peeler boasts a simple and attractive design that is super lightweight. It is also compact in size to easily fit the gadget drawer or knife roll. It features carbon steel blades that are very sharp and effortless to use. This apple peeler can move through sweet potatoes, lemon, and apple peels as soon as you start peeling.
They are easy to clean, use and replace the blade when it wears done. Furthermore, they are quite inexpensive and widely available across different stores. They also do a quick and great job in peeling apples, which is what you want especially when you're in a restaurant setting or on special occasions at home.
Things to Consider Before Purchasing the Best Apple Peeler
1. Peeling Types and Styles
There are a variety of apple peelers available in the market today, including handheld and countertop where the handheld peelers are the most common.
a). Handheld Peelers
Handheld peelers are affordable, small, and lightweight peelers that only weigh a few ounces. They are known to be versatile than the countertop models since they can peel a wide variety of vegetables and fruits, including carrots, cucumber, squash, potatoes, etc. Some are made of materials that are dishwasher safe, and others can only be hand-washed.
However, handheld peelers will only be a great option if you're working with a few apples but aren't the best for several pounds of vegetables and fruits. They come in two main styles that include;
- Straight Peelers/ Swivel Peelers- They feature a vertical blade that is parallel to the hand;e and they are used to peel away from your body or towards your body. Some have a metal eyer at the tip, which one can use to remove bruised spots.
- Y-Peeler- These are small tools that feature a horizontal blade that is perpendicular to the handle.
Countertop peelers are the best type for making large quantities of apples. Their sizes range from 10 to 15 inches in length, which means they might take up a lot of counters or kitchen space. Moreover, they can also be challenging to clean because of the multiple moving parts. Although you can simply wipe down the body of these peelers, the blades need to be removed and hand-washed.
The materials used in apple peelers will vary greatly depending on the type and style of the peeler. A commonly used material is the enameled cast iron for manual countertop models. On the other hand, handheld peelers feature bodies made of either zinc alloy, plastic, or metal. However, the main concern should be on the material of the blade, and here are some common types;
- Stainless steel- They are corrosion and rust-resistant, which ensures easy maintenance and durability. They are also easy to sharpen.
- Ceramic- They may be very sharp initially but will wear down with time and require professional sharpening. A ceramic blade is more delicate than other types and may easily break or chip when dropped.
- Carbon steel blades- These are sharper than stainless steel; however, they are prone to rust. To prevent rusting, you need to wash them by hand and dry them well after every use.
3. Manual or Electric
Most handheld peels are manual, while countertop models are either electric or manual. Manual peelers are highly portable and can be used anywhere since they don't require a power source.
In manual countertop models, the apples are placed on the skewer, and it is peeled manually using a handle or crank. They are faster than a handheld manual peeler, but they may not be as fast as electric peelers. However, the manual peelers can last for generations to come.
On the other hand, an electric apple peeler with a press of one button is the best for peeling apples in large quantities. You only need to ensure that the apple is in place and the device will do all the work for you. While most electric peelers must be plugged in an electrical outlet, others come with battery packs. However, these electric peelers tend to be more expensive and aren't as durable as manual ones.
4. Blade Features
There are other features you need to consider when it comes to the peeler blade;
- Some will come with an adjustable peeling blade to allow the users to control the size of the peels to either make thicker ribbons or thinner strips.
- Most handheld peelers will have blades that are sharpened on both sides to accommodate left-handed and right-handed use.
- A swivel blade is found in handheld peelers where it allows the users to peel either towards or away from themselves.
- Some will include additional blades for replacement
- Blade protectors to protect the blade when stored
5. Ease of Use
The best apple peeler is one that makes work easier for you. Some apple peelers come with additional features to make the task even easier. For example, the countertop models will include stability features like vice-style clamp or suction cups to attach the device to the countertop.
On the other hand, handheld peelers are ergonomically designed and lightweight, most of them having a slip-resistant handle and soft grip to improve usability. Since different people might have different preferences when it comes to apple peelers, it is always a wise choice to buy one that you will be comfortable using.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Apple Peelers
1. Do apple peelers really work?
Several apple peelers work effectively to peel apples. However, it would be helpful if you were careful about which one you choose. If you're peeling many apples or as much fruit, it is best to consider an electric one, but for peeling a few apples, a handheld peeler will do the trick.
2. Can you peel apples with a potato peeler?
A potato peeler can also be a great apple peeler. You can just peel the apple the same way as you would peel a potato. However, an apple peeler machine tends to be the easiest when it comes to peeling, coring, and slicing apples.